2015- July Budget

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/03/inheritance-tax-giveaway-welfare-cuts-budget-conservatives-george-osborne

Inheritance tax cuts and high earners

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 10:20 ----------

The question is Why those on 150 k should get a tax break? We keep being told this is austerity.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 10:21 ----------

If you are living in the south east on a 150k salary and sitting on a million pound house you are laughing right about now!

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 10:22 ----------

There has been a lot of talk about child poverty, but the definition of so-called poverty used by a lot of people is ludicrous. By those terms, my income would put us in "poverty", yet we have no debt, new laptop, new TV, two tablets, car, regular holidays, cupboard/fridge/freezer full of food and drink, new clothes, savings in the bank, new furniture, recently fitted new bathroom... When you look at the genuine poverty that's around, it is shocking, but the definition of the "threshold" clearly needs changing!

I think there is two definitions, actual and relative

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 10:24 ----------

They are not known yet and this isn't a great source, but somehow it seems entirely likely:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/iain-duncan-smith-cut-disabled-5991605

One person very close to me lives of this benefit, but has to pay part of her care from it as well. What do you think the likely outcome is going to be? Eat/drink/house cuts, or care cuts?

More or less certain employment support allowance will be cut.

Whilst I approve of tax cuts for the hard working and successful. This is a cut for middle earners. Obviously the millionaires and the very wealthy will still be taxed heavily.

If the government has to tax someone and HAS to raise taxes, surely it's better to tax dead people rather than live people.

I tried to quote the child poverty post, but it did not work. They are changing the definition of child poverty, so that one is solved ;)

They have also changed the way that they measure inflation, so that will save a shed load of money too, read the link.

The story begins with a single paragraph in the emergency budget a few weeks after the 2010 general election. Buried in its 100 pages was a small section stating that future benefits, tax credits and public sector pensions for retired emergency workers, civil servants, council employees and NHS staff would rise in line with a different measure of inflation: the consumer price index (CPI). Previously, the default increase was the retail price index, RPI – which has historically averaged about 1% higher.

By reducing the increase in payments each year, Treasury documents admitted the change would save them £15bn over the life of the last parliament.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/03/raid-benefits-welfare-cuts-government-inflation

[/color]If you are living in the south east on a 150k salary and sitting on a million pound house you are laughing right about now!

...unless you have borrowed an excessively large % mortgage advance secured on it.

The July budget will be only the start of it for the disabled . I'm expecting more suffering and suicides to follow especially when the DLA replacement Personal Independence Payment really gets going which will see many without any help at all and simply dumped on JSA with no hope in hell in getting a job. Its madness, Labour stared this with ESA and closing of Remploy factories. Most disabled people would love a chance of employment that's were Remploy fitted in the picture they gave a person self-worth and support and payed taxes in the system though their wages. But no shut Remploy down and put every one on benefits and then moan about it paint the disabled in a bad light and remove their benefits. We have become a very cruel county.

The July budget will be only the start of it for the disabled . I'm expecting more suffering and suicides to follow especially when the DLA replacement Personal Independence Payment really gets going which will see many without any help at all and simply dumped on JSA with no hope in hell in getting a job. Its madness, Labour stared this with ESA and closing of Remploy factories. Most disabled people would love a chance of employment that's were Remploy fitted in the picture they gave a person self-worth and support and payed taxes in the system though their wages. But no shut Remploy down and put every one on benefits and then moan about it paint the disabled in a bad light and remove their benefits. We have become a very cruel county.

I agree. We have been persuaded by such tactics to despise the most vulnerable in our society.

I agree. We have been persuaded by such tactics to despise the most vulnerable in our society.

No one despises them. Where do you get this stuff from. Just because you say something you have made up in your head, doesn't make it true.

People are ignoring the obvious. Reducing the spending power of those with disabilities will also reduce sales of goods and services.

Jobs will be lost as the economy is reconfigured to account for this.

I work with a charity that acts as a stepping stone for people with a wide range of issues, and it's a circle.....most of them will not be looked at by employers and it's just dragging people through the dirt.

By all means if you can do something fine, but even volunteering is providing a service to society, why can't we just leave it at that?.

Taking away their money is going to cause them some serious hardship and not change the issue one bit, it's our mindset towards our vulnerable we need to change.

They will start to care about the disabled and the vulnerable about January 2020, or am I just being cynical?

Interesting news about the BBC having to fund free TV licenses for over 75 year olds. For me this is good news because removal of this pointless cost from general taxation means that I no longer have to subsidise elderly people who don't have enough imagination to keep themselves entertained.

I suspect it will take much more than this to smarten up the old boys' network that masquerades as a broadcasting service.

How is a cut in tax credits helping low paid into better paid work? I don't get this part of budget, as it's a so called budget for working people