RTA data fatalities

That BBC article is trending in the Most Popular section even though it's dated Dec 2011. Selecting Sheffield as the Local Authority takes you just outside Ashbourne in Derbyshire, 35 miles away :roll:

Anyway, after scrolling the map up to Sheffield, I agree it's not as bad as you might imagine although obviously it doesn't include the last 3 and a half years worth of data.

How accurate are the points on that anyway.

It's just I was looking at a couple of places where I know speed cameras are in place, and not one of them had a point on it.

A couple had the points further up the road or something, but not around where the camera is positioned.

How accurate are the points on that anyway.

It's just I was looking at a couple of places where I know speed cameras are in place, and not one of them had a point on it.

A couple had the points further up the road or something, but not around where the camera is positioned.

Could that be because they want you to address your speed prior to the pinch-point?

Could that be because they want you to address your speed prior to the pinch-point?

I thought one of the requisites of camera siting was that they had to be near the site of accidents?

I thought one of the requisites of camera siting was that they had to be near the site of accidents?

Vans are sited to maximise the capure of drivers qualifying for courses because the money raised from courses goes to private busnesses such as the AA who run the courses while fines are not.

Your answer as to what qualifies as a camera site is in this document, quite old admittedly, but it gives a sober Govt assessment of the role of cameras/scameras:

http://www.parliament.uk/Templates/BriefingPapers/Pages/BPPdfDownload.aspx?bp-id=POST-PN-218

but the data shows no fatalities at the 'pinch point' (for the ones I looked at)

I thought a camera was only put in place when there was an 'accident black spot'

Whats the point in putting the camera half the mile down the road from where all the accidents happen :confused::confused:

Let's not forget the data in the link only shows an incident where someone has died. So just because the data shows no fatalities in a specific spot doesn't necessarily mean it isn't an accident black spot.

but the data shows no fatalities at the 'pinch point' (for the ones I looked at)

I thought a camera was only put in place when there was an 'accident black spot'

Whats the point in putting the camera half the mile down the road from where all the accidents happen :confused::confused:

As has been said, the pinch-points aren't defined by fatalities alone. Killed and serious injury (KSI) stats come into play derived from the Police's Stats19 form.

For every death there are many more serious injuries.

Edited by DT Ralge