Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

It's because they nearly all run red lights and generally flout the rules of the road in a manner which they'd never dream of doing with an identifiable and traceable registration on display.

Well, if that were true it would be reason for you to be grateful to the many cyclists who also drive, given that nearly all road users who do have identifiable and traceable registration on display do run red lights and flout the rules of the road. By your logic, the chances are that the ones who don't are also cyclists.

Having said that, your assertion that nearly all cyclists run red lights and generally flout the rules is absolute nonsense. A minority do, but it only requires about 30 seconds of reading this thread and a little bit of common sense to understand that nearly all of us regard them as idiots.

Well, if that were true it would be reason for you to be grateful to the many cyclists who also drive, given that nearly all road users who do have identifiable and traceable registration on display do run red lights and flout the rules of the road. By your logic, the chances are that the ones who don't are also cyclists.

Having said that, your assertion that nearly all cyclists run red lights and generally flout the rules is absolute nonsense. A minority do, but it only requires about 30 seconds of reading this thread and a little bit of common sense to understand that nearly all of us regard them as idiots.

It's not a minority though. I do a lot of rush hour driving and play my own little games to pass the time. I'd confidently say more than 50% of cyclists run red lights. I see it all the time. I could get a dash cam. I saw one do it only this morning

Speaking of animosity, or more a case of idiotic behaviour in this case, I was subjected to a stupid prank whilst cycling home a few weeks back. Some silly little boys in their white van thought it would be amusing to drive right up alongside me with their window open, lean out and shout really loudly at me. Yes, very clever to startle a cyclist, very clever.

That's happened to me numerous times.

It's not a minority though. I do a lot of rush hour driving and play my own little games to pass the time. I'd confidently say more than 50% of cyclists run red lights. I see it all the time. I could get a dash cam. I saw one do it only this morning

I do a lot of evening walking to the pub so I stood by that speed indicator sign in Walkley for 10 minutes last night as I play my own little games to pass time.

100% of the cars that approached the sign were over the 30mph speed limit, some of them well over.

Then again breaking the 30mph speed limit doesn't really count these days does it?

So in your "lot of rush hour driving" this morning you presumably at most saw two cyclists?

When I'm cycling I'll give an earful to any cyclist who sails past me at a red light. Same for people driving cars who think there's a ten second 'window' after turning red where it's still allowed to accelerate through.

Outside my place of work almost no motor vehicle sticks to the limit. People cut corners so badly they're driving on the wrong side of the road, straight at me as I'm approaching a junction. The point is all road users are capable of breaking the law. Our own personal crimes aren't erased or justified by someone else's.

You have poor observational skills or confirmation bias.

You have poor observational skills or confirmation bias.

Maybe, or conversely, maybe you do instead?

Maybe we need some independent studies, like , say, from the Institute of Advanced Motorists in 2012 that found 57% of cyclists admitted to running red lights, or a 2013 YouGov poll that found 35% of cyclists at least occasionally ignore red lights. Both figures not a million miles from my own personal observations.

Why do they do it when most would also be car drivers who wouldn't run red lights in their car? Probably the lack of identifying registration means prosecution is extremely unlikely. Possibly also the holier-than-thou mentality of being in some way superior to cars because they're not polluting gives a false sense of being above the law.

I found a study in a peer reviewed journal that said only 7% of cyclists ran one particular red light....

If a bike runs a red light, what's the most likely outcome? Nothing, or an accident where they'll come off worse. Does it really affect other people that badly if a few cyclisted run red lights? If it did, I am sure cyclists would indeed be forced to have reg plates or equivalent.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Forgive me if I am repeating something that may have been said already.

I think a lot of animosity stems from fear on the behalf of the car driver.

Every time I pass a cyclist I am at pains to ensure all is safe and must admit the fear of hitting them, hitting an oncoming car etc creates an irrational anger which is unwarranted but there. In my mind. I don't need this extra stress when driving which is stressful enough.

Maybe, or conversely, maybe you do instead?

Maybe we need some independent studies, like , say, from the Institute of Advanced Motorists in 2012 that found 57% of cyclists admitted to running red lights, or a 2013 YouGov poll that found 35% of cyclists at least occasionally ignore red lights. Both figures not a million miles from my own personal observations.

Why do they do it when most would also be car drivers who wouldn't run red lights in their car? Probably the lack of identifying registration means prosecution is extremely unlikely. Possibly also the holier-than-thou mentality of being in some way superior to cars because they're not polluting gives a false sense of being above the law.

Stats Stats Stats -

Both these above %'s can be drawn from the same question, where's the difference. Where is the corresponding figures for motor vehicles to give a valuable comparison?

Cyclists can run red lights with little chance of a down side. I think the lack of likely prosecution is part of it. But first and foremost it is an acceptable risk re: physical damage, that is, getting knocked off.

E.G. - Exceeding the speed limit. Before camera's it was safe, almost every time. AND the likelyhood of prosecution was low. Speed camera's have changed that for identifiable registered vehicles. I'm sure a survey of before and after camera's behaviour would show the comparison. It would for me at any rate.

The holier-than-thou, superior and false sense stuff is just physco-babble

Edited by Flanker7

Forgive me if I am repeating something that may have been said already.

I think a lot of animosity stems from fear on the behalf of the car driver.

Every time I pass a cyclist I am at pains to ensure all is safe and must admit the fear of hitting them, hitting an oncoming car etc creates an irrational anger which is unwarranted but there. In my mind. I don't need this extra stress when driving which is stressful enough.

There's not much to be afraid of, we just cars to overtake at safe points in the road and with a bit of space between us and the car.