Garden fantail doves

Im trying to home a pair of doves to my dovecote. They escaped from the net enclosure, although stayed in the vicinity for several days they didn't revisit the dovecote

I managed to recapture and now hold them in a cage structure adjoined to my dovecote. how long do I need to keep them enclosed for and upon release will they use the dovecote as a home or revert to roosting on adjoining house roofs and only use dovecote for feeding?

Any help or advise would be gratefully appreciated

regards

John:confused:

hi john i kept mine in for 2 weeks but had some since and they been out in 4 dys and been fine too...not much help i no lol ,

I now have to keep my doves in the sock drawer since thieves stole the lead off the roof of the dovecote. :(

However, they seem to like it there and am now thinking of building an extension for them in the underpants drawer. Hope this helps :)

If any of you want any doves for your dovecote i have some for sale ,,,cheap

Hi I have just put up a dovecote which will house three pairs I after to put a net around dovecote but that's not a problem at all so now am on the look out for a breading pair one pair or two no problem at all if you have a pair am very much interested I them I live in doncsster my mobile number is 07880865336 look forward to your reply Ian

I dont live in your area. i live just outside of Norwich and i am having real probs with Sparrow Hawks. I found one of my doves dead yesterday and its really upsetting to see them. Last Friday i heard such a bang at my window a Sparrow hawk had flown in to it and dazed it self. Oh how i wish it had killed it self but no such luck it flew off. If i had my way they would all be dead! Ive only got two doves left now and i just could'nt bear them to get killed. Its just not fair to keep them being shut in all day. If anyone can help me i would be very grateful. I just don't understand why Sparrow hawks are protected.

I dont live in your area. i live just outside of Norwich and i am having real probs with Sparrow Hawks. I found one of my doves dead yesterday and its really upsetting to see them. Last Friday i heard such a bang at my window a Sparrow hawk had flown in to it and dazed it self. Oh how i wish it had killed it self but no such luck it flew off. If i had my way they would all be dead! Ive only got two doves left now and i just could'nt bear them to get killed. Its just not fair to keep them being shut in all day. If anyone can help me i would be very grateful. I just don't understand why Sparrow hawks are protected.

I suppose they are not as prolific as other birds so need protection...why not build your doves an aviary that would keep them nice and safe.

Thanks for the advise, but i am getting on in years and the expense is just too much for us. I would love to put them in an aviary. My husband made me a lovely dovecote some years ago but since his heart attack he can't do much now.

Thanks for the advise, but i am getting on in years and the expense is just too much for us. I would love to put them in an aviary. My husband made me a lovely dovecote some years ago but since his heart attack he can't do much now.

I'm sorry to hear that, nature is really lovely but I can understand how its not so nice when nature kills a persons pets :(

I am due to receive 2 breeding pairs of white doves. I have a dovecote and have constructed 2 homing boxes to attach. Question- do I need to place any materials inside the compartments ie straw or twigs etc? Bob