Dog sharing in Sheffield

Hey folks

My 16 y.o. Son and I would love to get a dog but we are currently living in a second floor apartment. We have heard of dog share schemes and wondered if any one had any experience or stories about such things.

It is my understanding that it works as follows-dog owner works shifts for example, so dog borrower looks after dog one or two days a week. Or someone works away from home at weekends, borrower commits to having dog every weekend.

Any advice welcome; or if anyone is looking for such a thing get in touch

Ta :)

Did you use the search facility before posting? Someone posted a link to such a website earlier this year. I don't have the info. but a search should find it for you.

Talk to the cinnamon trust to see if he can help an elderly or ill person keep their own dog by him dog sharing.

That is a grand idea thank you.

I have seen a few websites that offer a matching service. I don't know anyone who has used one but it seems like a great idea. I will have a look, thank you.

There's one called Borrow My Doggy. I had a look at it today just out of interest. Each user creates a profile about their dog stating what they need. For example, the dog may need walking every day or just once a week. They might want someone to have their dog for a weekend or while they'd on holiday etc. then the 'borrowers' message you if they think they can help.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of leaving my dog with a random stranger that I found on the internet!

What area are you in catmay?

Hey,

I am in S6.

I had a look at that one too. I know what you mean about leaving your dog with a stranger! I have always had dogs and find sharing one quite an odd concept. That's why I hoped to hear some experiences, I wonder if people are checked out? Or if there are safety measures in place for both parties. The website you mention appears to charge people, not sure if that is a good or a bad thing! But if it means people are vetted (no pun intended!) then it is a good thing.

It may go nowhere but we both miss having a dog at home. I have told the kid he has to wait till we move till he can have one so we will just keep dog sitting till then.

Yes, they do charge an annual membership fee. Not sure how much it is though. I don't think the members are vetted but the website apparently does provide insurance.

Have you thought about walking rescue dogs? I know it's not the same as having your own dog but you still get to spend time with them and the dog benefits too.

Mill House Animal Sanctuary in Fulwood would appreciate dog walkers :) x

Yes we used to do it during school holidays, but as he is a bit older now he wants to start doing it himself soon. Just waiting to get his college timetable.

I will ponder the website a little more before signing up I think!

Thanks for the advice

What about approaching a neighbour who has a dog? Someone I know said that they have several neighbours who call regularly to take their dog for a walk. The borrowing neighbours don't want a dog of their own so sharing the dog works for them all. The dog does stay with its owners apart from when it goes an a walk.

I've always thought this is great idea. I have to pop home at lunch to let mine out and sometimes have to work later, so if I had a local arrangement with someone, I'd be well chuffed.

I'd be interested in dog sharing with another dog owner, to look after each others dogs for occasional weekends away/late evenings/long days etc.

It'd be great to have someone who knew what they were doing with dogs on hand for rare occasions we want to do something that can't involve our dog or in the case of an emergency, and I'd be happy to provide the same for someone else.

I wouldn't feel happy about leaving her with a non-dog owner at all. We have a friend who sometimes helps out but he comes and sits in our house and doesn't take her for a walk, but obviously he can't sit there for a whole weekend!

We've got cats as well though so the other dog(s) would have to be cat friendly...

My friend/customer has just had a dreadful experience with Borrow my dog ! the dog has just had major surgery , she is still poorly and all because the borrower didn't watch what she ate !! she ate something very sharp which could have perforated her stomach or bowels

I'm on BMD.

You message people on site and arrange to meet them. The site recommends getting to know potential borrowers before leaving your dog with them.

I've met some great people from the site

I'd recommend it.