Alcohol purchasing Think 21 will soon be Think 25.

Your argument would hold water if there was no binge drinking in the US. Sadly that however is not the case....

Oh im not trying to say there is NO binge drinking in the states- there is just less!! Some of there youngsters don't even taste alcohol until they get to 17 or 18- by that time in the UK we are seasoned drinkers!

I suggest we pay them in their own coin. Ask for proof of age of the counter staff that they are old enough to seel you the alcohol, or work the petrol pumps. Sauce for the goose etc....

that is a very good idea im so tired in been asked for ID from someone who is clearly younger than i am :rolleyes:

You can't take it out on the cashier though, it's not their fault this is coming into place.. It gets drilled into their heads that this is how it HAS to be. The cashiers don't make the rules, they just have to follow them..

Besides, they're not allowed to serve you if with any age restricted item if they too are under the age limit for that particular item whether it be alcohol, petrol, fireworks etc etc unless they have authorization from another member of staff that is over the age limit.. If they do serve you without getting authorization first, they would be really stupid as they could face a hefty fine..

Trust me, I know about this.. I'm not a cashier, but I too have had been "trained" (as they call it) in all this..

I suggest we pay them in their own coin. Ask for proof of age of the counter staff that they are old enough to seel you the alcohol, or work the petrol pumps. Sauce for the goose etc....

It made me chuckle, but what happens when you have a trolley full of beer and wine and they say "No, sorry I don't have any ID"?

You can't take it out on the cashier though, it's not their fault this is coming into place.. It gets drilled into their heads that this is how it HAS to be. The cashiers don't make the rules, they just have to follow them..

Besides, they're not allowed to serve you if with any age restricted item if they too are under the age limit for that particular item whether it be alcohol, petrol, fireworks etc etc unless they have authorization from another member of staff that is over the age limit.. If they do serve you without getting authorization first, they would be really stupid as they could face a hefty fine..

Trust me, I know about this.. I'm not a cashier, but I too have had been "trained" (as they call it) in all this..

Which is why I suggest we ask them for proof each time as well. To help the retail be sure that his staff are not breaking the law. Also to be certain that I am not encouraging them to.

If enough people do it then perhaps the retailers will start to stop being stupid and allow the cashiers their own judgement. Long shot admittedly but hey.

It made me chuckle, but what happens when you have a trolley full of beer and wine and they say "No, sorry I don't have any ID"?

You insist they get someone who does. Hopefully they will drag out management who actually have the power to make decisions - the bonus is that the cashier is then absovled of all issues.

You insist they get someone who does. Hopefully they will drag out management who actually have the power to make decisions - the bonus is that the cashier is then absovled of all issues.

They have to ask for assistance if they're not old enough and they have to do this by law so there will be no need to insist that they drag out management as you say. Read my above post that you've already quoted.. :)

What if they are there on their own, late night in a small store/petrol station?

What if they are there on their own, late night in a small store/petrol station?

They're not allowed to be.. :)

but this is not the states this is europe if anything we should be more like france rather than america

Yeah but the British Government aren't up France's backside, they are however, so far up America's arse they have to seek permission to use the karzy!

They have to ask for assistance if they're not old enough and they have to do this by law so there will be no need to insist that they drag out management as you say. Read my above post that you've already quoted.. :)

I have...

I have to be old enough by law to buy alcohol, so by your argument they shoudl have no need to insist that I produce ID...

Yet they do.

And nobody is allowed to buy age restricted items under that age - not being allowed doesn't stop some people from trying.

Hard as it is to believe, but managers are also human, and therefore not immune from this desire and indeed ability to do things that they are not allowed to do.

Olorin is suggesting, and I agree, that while we are being asked to prove that we are allowed to make a purchase, that we should also ask the retailer's representative to prove that they are allowed to take part in the transaction.

Hope that makes it clearer :)

I'll get me coat :hihi: