Do they still sell Beech Nut Chewing Gum?

Just returned from Kirkwall on Orkney back home to Inverness, where I met a retired Sheffield couple who moved there over thirty years ago.

Amongst their questions was are the Beach Nut Machines still there, with a free packet on the forth turn. I think I was right to say they ar long gone, but if anyone knows different please let me know

Just returned from Kirkwall on Orkney back home to Inverness, where I met a retired Sheffield couple who moved there over thirty years ago.

Amongst their questions was are the Beach Nut Machines still there, with a free packet on the forth turn. I think I was right to say they ar long gone, but if anyone knows different please let me know

I think they are long gone. Havent even seen the brand " Beech Nut" now.It was always the best chewing gum wasnt it ?

Yes Beech Nut, as per tree, the alternative was Wrigleys. Long gone because I think you had to insert something like 2 x 1d - the old penny, thus twopence? It was a small greaseproof-like pack and there were about five small oblong/convex pieces of gum covered in 'enamel'. This dates us folks.

Probably a must on dates as well?

Yes Beech Nut, as per tree, the alternative was Wrigleys. Long gone because I think you had to insert something like 2 x 1d - the old penny, thus twopence? It was a small greaseproof-like pack and there were about five small oblong/convex pieces of gum covered in 'enamel'. This dates us folks.

Probably a must on dates as well?

Some of the dates i went on you probably needed two pieces????

The big three were Beechnut, Wrigleys Spearmint, and PK. And does anyone remember that green stuff someone manufactured,that used to crumble into bits after about five minutes chewing? It was a bit like wax.

The big three were Beechnut, Wrigleys Spearmint, and PK. And does anyone remember that green stuff someone manufactured,that used to crumble into bits after about five minutes chewing? It was a bit like wax.

You can still buy PK but it's in strip form not the little tablets. Same yellow wrapper though.

http://www.sanza.co.uk/apps/shop/product.asp?af=googleBase&bn=5&pid=8041

Are you thinking of Dentine?

No, Dentine was good. The green crumbly stuff appeared just after the war when rationing was easing just a little. It too was in strips. Dentine was in small oblong pieces and colored pinkish with a distinct antiseptic flavor.

What about Stimerol (?). The Black Ice gum being sold now reminds me of it.

Didn't Beechnut make Juicy Fruit as well as peppermint?

Didn't Beechnut make Juicy Fruit as well as peppermint?

Oh now you have jogged my memory!! Similar shape and size to Beech Nut but in different colours and flavours, I think.

I once swapped the contents of Beech nut for a strong laxative that looked like Beech nut and passed them around to my entire class. I had about 5 packs in my pocket and the teacher noticed me giving out sweets and ordered me to give him the remainder which he stuffed right into his gob.

I was expelled for that little prank, and the class and teacher spent a couple of merry days attempting to pass their appendix through their anuses.

Happy days..