Need your assistance! Sheffield area job options

My uncle lives in Sheffield and you can't shut him up when he glowingly rants on about the wonderful job opportunities that are now available in England. This of course makes me feel really fantastic when decent job prospects in Chicago are down.

I am sizing up my options and would certainly love the opportunity to leave Bushland and make the Sheffield area my new home. However, after reading a few Internet job postings, I am having a difficult time trying to figure out if such a move would be productive. This is where I'm at currently:

- 15 Years operations management and sales experience.

- Business sectors: Retail Automotive, Financial and Education

- Last position held: Associate Director

- Last rate of pay: $60,000 per year. (about £45,000 pre-Bush)

- Avg. home price in Chicago: $300,000 (about £225,000 pre-Bush)

- Bachelors Degree in Economics

- Nationality: USA (Mum is a Brit from Sheffield and Dad is an American)

This would be a big move for me... Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Thank you in advance :)

Chris

to be honest I think your chances of getting a very well paid job £35k + are pretty slim.

There are very few well paid jobs in all sectors in Sheffield.

I'd have alook around the net to see what type of jobs are going and get your Uncle to send the local job paper over

You can live in Sheffield and work outside it, that's one thing to mention.

If you can I'd recommend a visit to size it all up, read the papers, look at property, and see how you feel.

Try before you buy - you might say.

Try monster.com for jobs and vebra.com for property.

Blundells.co.uk and multimap.com for maps

upmystreet.co.uk for other useful info

Good luck!

I agree that a visit would be in your best interests.

Come in the spring when it all will seem a lot rosier!

Sheffield is an all round good egg.

It is one of the best cities to live in in England,it has great prospects and has beatiful surrounding countryside.

I am not sure what the chances are of getting that kind of salary but it may be that the cost of living is lower here( not sure on that)

House prices are still holding their own here( against the natural trend) which proves that people do want to move here.

A lot of the city is dominated by what I call academics,Doctors, students, lecturers and so on but you do get a mix with the corporate side also.

Sheffield is not as much a business capital as Leeds ( Leeds is only 45 mins drive up the M1 and within commuting distance so it may be possible for you to commute.

The Sheffield Star comes out on Thursdays with all the jobs in so try to get a copy of this.

You will find that people are friendly here and you will be welcomed in to the community

Have you dual nationality ?

If you havent you'll find the immigration rules are now a complete pain.

My boyfriend is from Wisconsin ( damn those Illinois drivers and their toll roads...;)) he is over here currently as a mature student...if you want to chat to him about things in general he and I might be able to help a little.

Pm me if you want the phone no etc. :)