Cat attacked..by dogs, then had to put down.

My cat was sat on my doorstep when suddenly a man walking his two greyhound dogs, let them off the lead and they ran into my garden and attacked my cat.

I was at work and was phoned by my neighbours, who kindly took her to the vet's.

Sadly today I had to get her put down on the advice of the vet's.

The thing is that I live two doors away from a large field, which is used everyday by dog walkers, my neighbour explained what had happened as he was inhis garden.

He told me that this guy had let his dogs off the lead just before he got near my house and suddenly his dogs ran into my garden and attacked the cat,what happened next was unbelievable!!

After his dogs had finished and he put the leads on people had come out after hearing the noise,he began to walk off EVEN though he saw what had happened and the lifeless body of the cat,my neighbour shouted this man who did have a hearing aid on so ran after him quiteshoking as he was an mature man neighbours say around 50's.

He was told look you can't just walk off, he left his phone number and went off, I called and his wife came on the phone and said that he was deaf and I should speak to her, she wasn't too bothers now I've lost the number and my cats gone, I have seen him 1 day he takes a different route now, basically IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO..

---------- Post added 29-06-2016 at 23:36 ----------

Sorry about the spelling

I assume you rang the police? Sounds like there are enough witnesses, did you take their names/contact details?

Sadly no...neighbour did write down his number, which I've lost now...you'd think these people would want to see if the cat had survived but no...

I was at work when this whole thing happens and because no details (adress,etc.,) didn't contact police.

I know its daft but I just didn't know what to do..

I have seen the guy walking his dogs on another road but don't know if to approach him or not??

Sadly no...neighbour did write down his number, which I've lost now...you'd think these people would want to see if the cat had survived but no...

I was at work when this whole thing happens and because no details (adress,etc.,) didn't contact police.

I know its daft but I just didn't know what to do..

I have seen the guy walking his dogs on another road but don't know if to approach him or not??

I still think you should contact the police, use 101. Tell them what happened (get the vet to confirm if needed) and tell them that you see the guy walking around.

Speak to your phone operator and get the number you dialled. Then either call the police or put them number on the internet asking for an address for the owner. Perhaps offer an award

Sorry to hear about your cat .

Sadly most dogs chase cats just as most cats kill birds and mice etc.

The thing is most cats out think a dog and will just sit there saying come on lets have some fun ,.

It is the world of animals although the bloke should not have let two greyhounds of the lead on the street.

He should accept responsibility as it was his fault not the dogs.

I assume you rang the police? Sounds like there are enough witnesses, did you take their names/contact details?

Serious question..

What exactly do you think the police could do about a greyhound killing a cat? The breed is notorious for doing this as they have been trained to chase little fury animals.. This happens all the time! How can the police help?

Sorry about your cat by the way blueberry :(

Serious question..

What exactly do you think the police could do about a greyhound killing a cat? The breed is notorious for doing this as they have been trained to chase little fury animals.. This happens all the time! How can the police help?

I would expect the police to uphold the Law.

It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, such as:

in a public place

in a private place, eg a neighbour’s house or garden

in the owner’s home

The law applies to all dogs.

Out of control

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone

makes someone worried that it might injure them

A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if either of the following apply:

it attacks someone’s animal

the owner of an animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

I would expect the police to uphold the Law.

I don't see anything about dogs killing cats..

Has anyone ever been prosecuted?

Serious question..

There is an offence of a dog being dangerously out of control.

You also have a civil case against the man for the cost of vet fees and the cost of buying a new cat should you wish to do so.

Serious question..

It's not legal for you to deliberately let your dogs onto someone else's property to kill a cat, at the very least this man in in contravention of the DDA as his dogs were dangerously out of control and the Animal Welfare Act for causing suffering to the cat.

Clearly if a dog attacks a cat by mistake that's one matter but deliberately setting your dogs on another person's pet is totally different. People have been jailed for this in the past, see HERE

This man should have the dogs taken away and be banned from keeping them for life at least, he doesn't deserve them, it gives other sighthound owners a bad name and frankly if he'll use them to attack a cat for his own sick pleasure in the middle of the street I shudder to think what he might be using them for at other times. He could well be one of those utterly revolting individuals who enjoys badger baiting.

I'd be surprised if they were greyhounds to be honest, people like this usually have bull lurchers (giving bull lurchers a bad name too :rant:)

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 11:02 ----------

I don't see anything about dogs killing cats..

Has anyone ever been prosecuted?

Deliberately using your dog to harm a cat is no different to causing suffering in other ways, e.g. by hitting or kicking the cat, YOU (not your dog) have caused harm to the cat.

How did the OP loose the phone number?? It's the one piece of evidence you have!

If you have an itemised phone bill the number should appear on that though right???