Is it possible to dump the internet.

Over the last few days I have grown sick and tired of the the internet.

The on line insults aimed at the Brexit voters , the continuous arguments over the slightest disagreement on whatever subject is aired on line.

The racism , The ageism , the sexism , and the continuous bickering has made me think ,can I chuck this blooody machine in the bin and get back to basics.

I know that up to now I use it for banking, paying the gas bill, insuring the car, and keeping in touch with distant relations in some god forsaken corner of whatever Country they have run away to.

But do I really need it, why not just send a letter, call in the bank or visit the gas board to pay the bill.

Why am I bothered about uncle Fred in Nova Scotia or a cousin down South who I will never see again and have never liked any way ,

Why not just concentrate on day to day mundane living without bothering about what every body else thinks .

Will I just be invisible if I chuck this bloooody machine in the bin.

The problem you're faced with, is that increasing numbers of people communicate almost exclusively over the internet. Even dropping off facebook for a month got people concerned for my welfare....

People will think you have died.

There was an excellent episode of Grand Designs a few years ago, with the bloke who owned/lived in a wood. He built his own place, can't sell it, and I think avoided the most part of modern internet life.

I'd like somewhere like that. I'm ok with a saw, hammer, nails :)

The problem you're faced with, is that increasing numbers of people communicate almost exclusively over the internet. Even dropping off facebook for a month got people concerned for my welfare....

People will think you have died.

Haha!

I posted a bit of classical music on my facebook to listen to and first comment from my brother was...'you ok bro? Haha!

just dont log into facebook.

the majority think thats the internet anyway

That's sort of what I was thinking too.

I dont understand why the OP needs to "dump" using the internet altogether.

They can still carry on using it for their shopping or banking or information or whatever. None of those websites have hate, bile and argument.

Just keep away from public forums and social media. Its hardly rocket science. The internet is just another communication tool just like a phone or written correspondence. WE choose to view/contribute to whatever we want.

You can, see ya.

The best reason so far.

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 07:05 ----------

just dont log into facebook.

the majority think thats the internet anyway

I dumped that as soon as I saw every one I know having such a good time.

Pouting in front of selfies , pictures of them ands their kids in Skegness,posing in football shirts complete with bare beer belly, this is us ,this is ours ,arn't we bloooody good .

Its dumped,

That's sort of what I was thinking too.

I dont understand why the OP needs to "dump" using the internet altogether.

They can still carry on using it for their shopping or banking or information or whatever. None of those websites have hate, bile and argument.

Just keep away from public forums and social media. Its hardly rocket science. The internet is just another communication tool just like a phone or written correspondence. WE choose to view/contribute to whatever we want.

But we will be fitter if we go to town to pay the bills,

We will be fitter if we write a letter and go to the post office for stamps and letter box,

The joy of getting a reply through the letter box so as we can sit down and read a line or two of private correspondence .

We will be fitter if we write a letter and go to the post office for stamps and letter box,

The joy of getting a reply through the letter box so as we can sit down and read a line or two of private correspondence .

The internet could play an important part in saving you, or a member of your families life.;)

Nothing to stop you doing all that, anytime you want, and to reap these personal rewards.

But why do you seem so concerned about what other people do with or on the Internet, and about convincing others to follow you into cutting the online cord?

I don't have a FB, Twitter, Snapchat or <somesuch> account. Just three email addresses (personal with own domain, personal in cloud, and professional at work), SF + a couple more forum subscriptions, and Facetime for the overseas family (which is great, head and shoulders above Skype for ease of use). Plenty enough, offline life is plenty interesting and busy enough outside of that.

The Internet is whatever you make of it. Only you can decide where your browser and apps take you, and what you experience as a result. Not your computer or phone or tablet. And not others.

Nothing to stop you doing all that, anytime you want, and to reap these personal rewards.

But why do you seem so concerned about what other people do with or on the Internet, and about convincing others to follow you into cutting the online cord?

I don't have a FB, Twitter, Snapchat or <somesuch> account. Just three email addresses (personal with own domain, personal in cloud, and professional at work), SF + a couple more forum subscriptions, and Facetime for the overseas family (which is great, head and shoulders above Skype for ease of use). Plenty enough, offline life is plenty interesting and busy enough outside of that.

The Internet is whatever you make of it. Only you can decide where your browser and apps take you, and what you experience as a result. Not your computer or phone or tablet. And not others.

Surely you have to admit that some things are forcing you onto the internet/mobile devices. My HMRC recent hassles spring to mind!

Look how many people ask about things like train tickets in here? No phone and the option is more expensive purchased ticket at the station. That's just 2 off the top of my head! (banks is a third, closing down local branches seems quite common).

On the plus side, I hate shopping, so Amazon comes in handy - I prefer that to exercising going to town :D