Scotland should the tail wag the dog

Is Scotland's membership really beneficial to the Union

I think so and when the people of Scotland were asked if they wanted to stay, they wanted to, so I'm happy with that.

What I'm not happy with is some of their representatives in the House of Commons saying that it's undemocratic for Scotland to be forced out of the EU.

How I see it is Scotland chose to stay with us (and I am glad they did so), so they wanted us to be a United Kingdom but when the referendum was put to the United Kingdom, their representatives don't want to accept that decision. I find that to be undemocratic and also unfair to the people in Scotland who did vote Leave.

If Scotland wants to be part of the union, which it does, then it accepts the will of the union as a whole.

At least Scotland has had the chance to decide whether or not it wants to be part of the union. Other entities haven't.

Edit. The next issue is, in my opinion, how often an entity such as Scotland should get to review whether or not it wants to stay in the union. But as no date has been fixed for another Scotland vote, then they have missed their chance. Maybe Scotland should have delayed their vote until after the European one.

Edited by Eater Sundae

I find that to be undemocratic and also unfair to the people in Scotland who did vote Leave.

.... It isn't unfair to the people in Scotland who did vote leave. Just as it isn't unfair to people in England who voted remain that the UK is on its way out of the EU. That is democracy.

However, Scotland was told that the referendum to stay in the UK was also enabling them to stay in the EU. That parameter has changed, they have a right to decide on this again. Just because it annoys English people does not mean that the Scots should just meekly walk along.

I think so and when the people of Scotland were asked if they wanted to stay, they wanted to, so I'm happy with that.

What I'm not happy with is some of their representatives in the House of Commons saying that it's undemocratic for Scotland to be forced out of the EU.

How I see it is Scotland chose to stay with us (and I am glad they did so), so they wanted us to be a United Kingdom but when the referendum was put to the United Kingdom, their representatives don't want to accept that decision. I find that to be undemocratic and also unfair to the people in Scotland who did vote Leave.

I agree, Scotland is part of the UK in the same way that London is part of the UK.

The SNP are using the referendum as an excuse to have another independence referendum. Scotland are only in the EU because the UK is in the EU. If Scotland had voted for independence in 2014, then they would have had to apply to be a member of the EU, which most likely would have been vetoed by Spain. There isn't an option for Scotland to choose to be either a member of the UK or a member of the EU. What has been decided, is Scotland soon will not be a member of both, just like London who voted to remain, soon won't be.

There is no tail and no dog, just people. It's a bogus argument.

However, Scotland was told that the referendum to stay in the UK was also enabling them to stay in the EU.

Who told them that ?

Scotland is only of benefit while the relationship is stable. Each time that Scotland looks to vote on the issue then that destabilises the union. IMO it would be reasonable for the rest of the UK to say "We are sick of you vacillating on this as it harms everyone else. Stay if you wish, but we will reduce the flow of money going to Scotland to be fair to everyone else in the union. We should not be subsidising you as we have done in the past. Accept that, or go."

.... It isn't unfair to the people in Scotland who did vote leave. Just as it isn't unfair to people in England who voted remain that the UK is on its way out of the EU. That is democracy.

However, Scotland was told that the referendum to stay in the UK was also enabling them to stay in the EU. That parameter has changed, they have a right to decide on this again. Just because it annoys English people does not mean that the Scots should just meekly walk along.

It is entirely unfair to the people of Scotland who voted leave. They are in the majority of the UK who voted and Scotland is in the UK. That is democracy.

If Scotland wants to be part of the union, which it does, then it accepts the will of the union as a whole.

At least Scotland has had the chance to decide whether or not it wants to be part of the union. Other entities haven't.

Edit. The next issue is, in my opinion, how often an entity such as Scotland should get to review whether or not it wants to stay in the union. But as no date has been fixed for another Scotland vote, then they have missed their chance. Maybe Scotland should have delayed their vote until after the European one.

They haven't missed their chance, leaving can be reviewed at any time. Of course, once you've left getting back in, should you change your mind would be much more difficult.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 09:34 ----------

Who told them that ?

It was a major part of the campaign on the English side to convince them to stay. That if they left they would have also left the EU and would have to negotiate their own membership.

Fast forward a few years and despite voting to stay they face being dragged out of the EU anyway. You can see why that might stick in their throats perhaps.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 09:34 ----------

Scotland is only of benefit while the relationship is stable. Each time that Scotland looks to vote on the issue then that destabilises the union. IMO it would be reasonable for the rest of the UK to say "We are sick of you vacillating on this as it harms everyone else. Stay if you wish, but we will reduce the flow of money going to Scotland to be fair to everyone else in the union. We should not be subsidising you as we have done in the past. Accept that, or go."

Be funny if the EU did that to us wouldn't it.