Double speak from Vauxhall

So, the Zafira heater recall. Vauxhall are adamant that the cars that have caught fire were all "improperly repaired" by independent garages. Yet they know and accept that mine has never had any repairs from an independent garage but are giving advice that the heating and air con must only be used on 0 or 4 otherwise it's not safe. How can that make sense?

How can it not make sense?

They are advising you not to turn up the heating or air conditioning beyond the number 4.

How can it not make sense?

They are advising you not to turn up the heating or air conditioning beyond the number 4.

No, they are saying only use it on 0 AND 4. They are saying it's not safe on 1,2 and 3

You sure? Is it a communication problem?

If not I am with you in then confused camp? It's the year 9 shower room all over again :(

You sure? Is it a communication problem?

If not I am with you in then confused camp? It's the year 9 shower room all over again :(

They were very clear and insistent on it. I said "so when we're on holiday in August we have to have it freezing on 4 or baking with no air con?". They said Yes. There is a second recall later on the year which will apparently make it safe to use it on all settings. But not faulty manufacture, according to Vauxhall!

Dare I ask what went on in the year 9 shower room?!

No, they are saying only use it on 0 AND 4. They are saying it's not safe on 1,2 and 3

In related news Spinal Tap have announced they are cancelling their sponsorship deal with GM/Vauxhall/Opel

(Depending on which market they are currently touring in)

They're lying you do realise that right??

The issue is a design fault and they don't want to admit it and open themselves up to expensive litigation.

They're lying you do realise that right??

The issue is a design fault and they don't want to admit it and open themselves up to expensive litigation.

Oh absolutely, they are just doing a terrible job of it! As if they would recall that many vehicles if independent garages were liable.

---------- Post added 21-06-2016 at 13:27 ----------

In related news Spinal Tap have announced they are cancelling their sponsorship deal with GM/Vauxhall/Opel

(Depending on which market they are currently touring in)

:hihi::hihi:

So, the Zafira heater recall. Vauxhall are adamant that the cars that have caught fire were all "improperly repaired" by independent garages. Yet they know and accept that mine has never had any repairs from an independent garage but are giving advice that the heating and air con must only be used on 0 or 4 otherwise it's not safe. How can that make sense?

Sounds like they are trying to prevent use of the resistor to me. That is not a fix but a "workaround" and a pretty poor one too.

Setting 0 is off. Setting 4 is full power to the blower motor.

Intermediate settings are through a power resistor to drop voltage and give different blower motor speeds. Sounds like the resistors overheat and catch fire - Ford Mondeo Mk2 had exactly the same issue but there was nothing flammable nearby the resistor to cause a fire.

Setting 0 is off. Setting 4 is full power to the blower motor.

Intermediate settings are through a power resistor to drop voltage and give different blower motor speeds. Sounds like the resistors overheat and catch fire - Ford Mondeo Mk2 had exactly the same issue but there was nothing flammable nearby the resistor to cause a fire.

Of course, this makes complete sense.

Of course, this makes complete sense.

Only if English is your first language.