No GP appointments for 4 weeks !

This morning I have tried to make a GP appointment for my OH and was told there are no appointments for the next 4 weeks - come back at the beginning of July !

Yes - I know there is the walk in centre but I know they will just refer him back to his GP with the problem he has.

Is it any wonder that A&E is overworked and struggling to cope with the number of patients presenting there ?

Come on Primary Health - time to get your act together !

You might be screened on the seriousness of your ailment as well, or they just might be slammed.

It's a weird situation. I telephoned my GP at 2 PM last Thursday just on the off chance if I had any cancellations I was surprised I could've gone in at any time that afternoon as they had every slot free. I basically just put my coat on and walk down there when I walked into the waiting room it was packed the rest of the public were seeing nurses, blood test's lots of mothers with babies so I assumed it was some sort of mother and child/father and child services. Quite a little hub of activity.

This morning I have tried to make a GP appointment for my OH and was told there are no appointments for the next 4 weeks - come back at the beginning of July !

Yes - I know there is the walk in centre but I know they will just refer him back to his GP with the problem he has.

Is it any wonder that A&E is overworked and struggling to cope with the number of patients presenting there ?

Come on Primary Health - time to get your act together !

That's very common in Sheffield. You could write to your MP and ask them what their party proposes to do to change things.

This is how a recent phone call to my GP surgery went:

Me - "Hello, have you any appointments for today"

Surgery - "Sorry, we've nothing until the week after next"

Me - "In that case I need a home visit today, its urgent"

Surgery - "hold the line please.................we can fit you in at 1.30 if you can make it"

Me - "Thank you very much, bye"

Amazing!!!

Last month there were 50 doctor's and 68 nurse's appointments that failed to show at our surgery. It is now turn up at 11:30 and hope you get in or phone at 8:00 and hope there is an appointment going.

That is very stressful.

Cancellations should be charged for, two and your off the books!

Edited by davyboy

That's very common in Sheffield. You could write to your MP and ask them what their party proposes to do to change things.

All the MPs in Sheffield are Labour or Lib-Dem. The government is Conservative with 4 years to run. Best ask the government what it's going to do.

Last month there were 50 doctor's and 68 nurse's appointments that failed to show at our surgery. It is now turn up at 11:30 and hope you get in or phone at 8:00 and hope there is an appointment going.

That is very stressful.

I was checking in for my appointment at the dentist. I was been nosey as the receptionist was talking on the phone. Some one was arguing as they needed urgent treatment but the dentist had struck them off for two no shows. The receptionist explained they were not taking on any new patients. I think this is a good idea.

It's because people come from all over the world to access our free healthcare etc..

That is very stressful.

cancellations are different from not turning up, those statistics will be for missed appointments afaik.

hmm two and off the books, might be a bit harsh on somebody who has cancer or other serious disease but on the other hand they may get an home visit from the doctor if they're not up to attending the surgery.

That is very stressful.

That sounds similar to our GPs. In this age of technology, how difficult is it to ring up if you know you're not going to get to an appointment. I'm sure the GP will make allowances for anyone seriously unwell. We can usually get in same day by turning up or ringing first thing.

It's because people come from all over the world to access our free healthcare etc..

You were telling us to thank Dave for taking of the NHS in the run up to the General Election.

What's changed? Is there another election on the way? Oh, right.