Which Fiesta would be most economical

Looking to buy Ford Fiesta but not sure which would be the Best Buy, 1.25 Zetec or 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec, not going to be travelling long journeys,

1.25 is an old engine now and was never especially good on fuel, the ecoboost is a far more efficient engine. No contest

I have a 1 .4 tai it is really good on fuel I do mainly short runs and have noticed this model is used by sheffield City council workers nice and nippy it is very good fuel wise on longer runs too and mine is a 60 plate!

I have a 2002 ford KA with the old Endura engine and this does 50mpg on a run and it's much less complicated and easier to maintain than the later Zetec engine.

Have you not considered the tdci2

Recommending a diesel engine is the worst advice ever. It is dirty especially with regards to particulate emissions and new government legislation is going to come down hard on them.

1.0 Ecoboost is the one to go for, a really good little engine.

The 125ps one is a little cracker.

Don't bother with the 1.25, total waste of time in comparison.

Recommending a diesel engine is the worst advice ever. It is dirty especially with regards to particulate emissions and new government legislation is going to come down hard on them.

Especially as the OP says they're not going to be doing long journeys.

Ive got the 1.0 ecoboost. Fantastic little car and for a small engine it is pretty nippy, very good on fuel too.

1.0 Ecoboost is the one to go for, a really good little engine.

The 125ps one is a little cracker.

Don't bother with the 1.25, total waste of time in comparison.

I agree with this.

The 1litre ecoboost is superb, I couldn't believe how torque-y and powerful it felt when test driving, bought one the same day as test driving. You definitely want at least the 100ps version though (this one has 170Nm of torque compared to 114Nm on the 1.25, which makes a fairly big difference).

We get 48-52MPG on average for day to day driving in and around Sheffield, on a motorway run you can achieve around 60MPG.

You get the added benefit of low emissions putting the ecoboost in Band A which is currently £0 compared to the 1.25 in Band D which is currently £110.

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 15:00 ----------

I have a 2002 ford KA with the old Endura engine and this does 50mpg on a run and it's much less complicated and easier to maintain than the later Zetec engine.

Comparing the two is like chalk and cheese though...

Technology has come a long way since then; you have much better performance from the engines, superior handling due to modern chassis design and whatnot, safety features are much much better, etc.

I agree with this.

The 1litre ecoboost is superb, I couldn't believe how torque-y and powerful it felt when test driving, bought one the same day as test driving. You definitely want at least the 100ps version though (this one has 170Nm of torque compared to 114Nm on the 1.25, which makes a fairly big difference).

We get 48-52MPG on average for day to day driving in and around Sheffield, on a motorway run you can achieve around 60MPG.

You get the added benefit of low emissions putting the ecoboost in Band A which is currently £0 compared to the 1.25 in Band D which is currently £110

Why the need for at least 100ps? A car with lesser will easy do the maximum limits and will only lag behind the competitive sports car brigade.

Personal opinion only but stuffing a 1 litre into a fiesta or a 1.2 into a golf and getting the required performance from a turbo will do nothing for the car's longevity. It's like pumping a Shetland pony full of steroids and asking it to do the work of a plough horse.