Anyone know how to clean 'blackened' gas burners?

My partner, decided to clean the oven yesterday, along with the cast iron pan stands on the hob. She used Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner (spray on).

Unfortunately she attempted to clean the gas burners too, and now they've all turned a very dark grey/black colour.

As far as I can make out, they are 'cast' aluminium.

Anyone know if there's a dip of some description to bring them back to at least some semblance of colour and finish?

Edited by PeteMorris

I don't know of any 'dip' unfortunately, but some elbow grease and some 000 grade steel wool does it.

Edited by handypandy

I don't know of any 'dip' unfortunately, but some elbow grease and some 000 grade steel wool does it.

Yeah, I had considered that option, but thought there might be something to give me a bit of a head start...:(

Try baking soda with a bit of water to make a paste and cover one.

It cleans the oven well so might work on them.

Try Soda crystals, brilliant and I use them all the time for all sorts.. Wear the marigolds though!

Rhubarb! Boil up some rhubarb with a little water, pop the the pan stands in the solution, and leave to soak overnight.

Try baking soda with a bit of water to make a paste and cover one.

It cleans the oven well so might work on them.

Try Soda crystals, brilliant and I use them all the time for all sorts.. Wear the marigolds though!

Soda of some sort seems to be a theme. Obviously some sort of chemical reaction has taken place, possibly from ammonia in the oven cleaner spray. But I'm no metallurgist, so don't really know what reaction that would take, or indeed if reversal of it, is even possible or feasible.

The burners 'did' have a sort of small ring of 'polished' metal of some sort around them, and even that's black now, and I know if I use a fine grade emery, or wire wool, that will scratch to hell....

It's all very annoying!

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 15:23 ----------

Rhubarb! Boil up some rhubarb with a little water, pop the the pan stands in the solution, and leave to soak overnight.

It's not the pan stands...They're fine...It's the individual burners....

You might be best with some metal polish to try and get the crud out.

I'm not sure I'd fancy harsh cleaning chemicals or acid treatment - you've basically attacked them with an alkali type already and are hoping to reverse the damage with an acid type cleaner??

Might be time to get the elbow grease out instead.

Yes, "burners" was what I meant to type but my fingers had different ideas. If the burners are aluminium, I think you need a weak acid solution of some kind, hence the rhubarb.

When I used to work on building sites, we always used Zoff's aluminium spray cleaner for aluminium frames, uprights and structures. It came as a pressurised can, about the size of a WD40 can.

I don't know if it was ever sold in the UK or even if it's still around at all (a quick Googling just now suggests not :(), but if you can find some, that stuff is magic.

Like, the Cillit Bang of aluminium window and conservatory installers :D

Soda of some sort seems to be a theme. Obviously some sort of chemical reaction has taken place, possibly from ammonia in the oven cleaner spray. But I'm no metallurgist, so don't really know what reaction that would take, or indeed if reversal of it, is even possible or feasible.

The burners 'did' have a sort of small ring of 'polished' metal of some sort around them, and even that's black now, and I know if I use a fine grade emery, or wire wool, that will scratch to hell....

It's all very annoying!

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 15:23 ----------

Soda will certainly work. Just be aware that aluminium disolves in caustic soda to produce hydrogen. So don't pop them in and walk away. % minutes and a rinse will do the job.

It's all very annoying!

Do you mean the caps that sit on top of the burner nozzle/jets, are they cast steel or alloy? The bezel rings around the nozzles are usually alloy (ali), on these you will have to use 600 grade wet/dry then 2000 grade, or a good buffing wheel to finish off. I think the surface of the metal is altered with the heat. Or, shot-blasting but this imparts a satin finish.