Media influence on politics

Why do you think everything is a personal attack and feel the need to try and defend yourself? I wasnt talking about you, it was a general statement on the whole.

You addressed me in your post.

Do please, up your game.

In the first paragraph only!

The rest was obviously just a statement in reply to the general thrust of the thread.

Ill not dignify your comment About upping my game with an answer as i wasnt trying to make you look a fool,nor do i seem to have to.

In the words of Duncan Bannatyne "Im Ooot"

Much love.

In the first paragraph only!

The rest was obviously just a statement in reply to the general thrust of the thread.

Ill not dignify your comment About upping my game with an answer as i wasnt trying to make you look a fool,nor do i seem to have to.

In the words of Duncan Bannatyne "Im Ooot"

Much love.

Last Leg on is it? See ya!!!

All eyes need opening. It isn't right that a handful of moguls can dictate what the media decide is the right course. That makes a democracy with 600+ MPs into a meritocracy of a few men in smug suits in a gentleman's club in Islington the ones that decide.

I agree & it did seem that when there was the Leveson Report - there may have been some kind of change in the behaviour of the press.

I'm aware that Lord Leveson wasn't specifically overseeing the impact of the media on politics and voting. But with the referendum, it's definitely been 'business as usual'.

It did make me smile that Kelvin Mackenzie, of all people, has admitted that he regrets voting to leave:

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/06/suns-resident-idiot-kelvin-mackenzie-now-regrets-voting-leave-after-offering-10-reasons-for-brexit/

With regards to the rise in hate crimes against people who were not born in this country - the gutter press especially have to take their share of the blame. The EU campaign was really unpleasant about immigrants - that's bound to have an impact on some people.

With regards to the rise in hate crimes against people who were not born in this country - the gutter press especially have to take their share of the blame. The EU campaign was really unpleasant about immigrants - that's bound to have an impact on some people.

It did seem that way, but West Yorkshire police, I think, said there had been no reported increase in hate crime, today.

It did seem that way, but West Yorkshire police, I think, said there had been no reported increase in hate crime, today.

Let's see when the next Daily Telegraph Immigrant Bashing Headline appears.

It's not exactly news this; I remember writing an essay in the 1992 with regards to political bias in the tabloid and broadsheet newspapers, citing different newspapers and their coverage of general elections and major political events such as the miner's strike.

Here's a point to ponder; people don't like reading news, especially politics, without an opinion to go with it. It's like watching football when you don't care who wins.

It's not exactly news this; I remember writing an essay in the 1992 with regards to political bias in the tabloid and broadsheet newspapers, citing different newspapers and their coverage of general elections and major political events such as the miner's strike.

Here's a point to ponder; people don't like reading news, especially politics, without an opinion to go with it. It's like watching football when you don't care who wins.

That's a fair point, however, I think the ideal that newspapers should aspire to is one in which the facts are reported fairly, and opinion is separated from facts, preferably on a different page. Maybe that's how it used to be, I don't know.

The point is a fair one, but as Mister M says - facts should be reported fairly. I had a Twitter exchange with a Welsh BBC reporter who, on Sunday, after the vote, still felt it was necessary to repeat a Leave campaign lie in an article on Tata-takeover rituals (the lie was that the EU stopped support for UK steel). Admittedly, he did put it as an explicit Leave campaign point, but the simple truth (and he agreed) was that Sajid Javid had denied tariffs on steel in the EU and he failed to put that in his report.

And that where I believe the problem lies, most journalists are not poor and are often highly educated, they are unlikely to have the same views and experiences as the working class.

And that where I believe the problem lies, most journalists are not poor and are often highly educated, they are unlikely to have the same views and experiences as the working class.

Really? Got any stats to prove that?

All eyes need opening. It isn't right that a handful of moguls can dictate what the media decide is the right course. That makes a democracy with 600+ MPs into a meritocracy of a few men in smug suits in a gentleman's club in Islington the ones that decide.

There is a gentlemans club in Islington?