Remembering the Somme

One hundred years ago tomorrow, the Sheffield, Barnsley and Accrington Pals attacked German lines at Serre. The whistle blew at 7-30am to go "over the top" , by 8-45am nearly all of them were dead, including my Grandfather William Gleeson.

RIP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/ten-facts-about-the-battle-of-the-somme/

Over 19,000 men died in the first day of battle - I use the word 'men' loosely - many of them were not much more than boys. The average age of those who died was 26 - a boy.

So sad .

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/13-things-you-might-not-11538358

What a waste.

Lest we forget.

Edited by Daven

Isn`t there a ceremony to mark it in Weston park today?

Just been watching the battle of the Somme service on BBC 1 and one of the broadcasts was from Sheffield Memorial Park in Northern France, a war memorial owned by Sheffield council dedicated to the Sheffield pals who fell in the battle. I had mo idea this park existed.

Just been watching the battle of the Somme service on BBC 1 and one of the broadcasts was from Sheffield Memorial Park in Northern France, a war memorial owned by Sheffield council dedicated to the Sheffield pals who fell in the battle. I had mo idea this park existed.

Today we commemorate a battle 100 years ago in Europe where millions died. Strangely this week we do battle with Europe again and there is fighting on the streets of England with attacks on our old enemy the foreigner.

Proud of them all, "Lest we forget".

LEST WE FORGET.

100 years ago today.

I cannot imagine the pain and suffering of these very brave men ( and their families back home ) They did not die in vain ...... gone but never forgotten.

What about the ******** that sent them. They seem to be forgot

---------- Post added 01-07-2016 at 11:12 ----------

Dear francypant they did die in vain. Such a waste of life

There is a small town near the Somme called Baupame(I think) and it was utterlley destroyed by the shell fire during the battle.Afterwards when the Sheffield pals returned they started a collection and the got enough money to build a school and some houses which are still there and being used today.I think Mr.Lawrence of the razor blade factory on Nursery street had a lot to do with it.Just found this. http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t03189&pos=8&action=zoom&id=33541

Edited by Kidorry

What about the ******** that sent them. They seem to be forgot

---------- Post added 01-07-2016 at 11:12 ----------

[/color]Dear francypant they did die in vain. Such a waste life

That is your opinion.

I feel they did not die in vain ...... they died fighting for a cause.