Working as a careworker

Hello,

If someone would like to completely switch careers from admin to become a care worker with the elderly. Not dementia or disabilities. How would they go about doing this? They dont drive.

I hear horror stories of awful care places to work for so any recommendations?

Thank you

Hello,

If someone would like to completely switch careers from admin to become a care worker with the elderly. Not dementia or disabilities. How would they go about doing this? They dont drive.

Thank you

I would maybe go for a support worker role in the NHS.

I know several people who have done this from completely different careers.

It would give you a good idea what to expect, training how to do the job and job satistifaction, if thats your chosen career path.

I'd keep checking NHS jobs and have a CV & personal statement ready.

Good Luck! :)

Hello,

Thank you

You might be better off looking at carers that visit people at home - once they're in a care home they're either very immobile or have dementia anyway. There are few care homes that don't offer care to people with dementia but there aren't many.

EDIT - just noticed they don't drive. It's a very narrow field, in my opinion.

Hello,

Thank you

"Not dementia or disabilities" So you don't want to work with any elderly that have dementia or disabilities ? I'd say that would be very difficult to pick and choose if you worked for a care company.

I agree it would be easier if they could drive but it doesn't exclude them completely.

AllI care companies accept "walkers", but obviously you've got to be prepared to walk a long way if necessary, which, if you enjoy walking, it won't be a problem. Also remember, when it's 4ft in snow, we all have to walk lol

Not dementia or disabilities.

What do you mean by this? Why would someone require a care worker if they did not have a need such as dementia or a disability? This person will soon find themselves out of a job if they refuse to care for for people with such needs.

Care workers who are employed either in a private nursing home or in the community cannot usually pick and choose their clients so if this person does not wish to care for people with dementia and disabilities then they had better stay where they are. Caring for people is very hard work, requiring stamina, patience and the ability to deal with unpleasant things. It could be quite difficult to adapt to such a job when one has been used to sitting in an office all day. Probably the the most useful course of action is to do some voluntary work before making a decision.

i worked in the supermarket trade for 26 years then i had a total career change and went into home care for the elderly i absolutley adored this job but it was soul destroying the pay and the hours were rubbish but i loved the job so continued then at the begining of last year i found a job as a support worker in a day centre with adults with learning and physical disabilities and i can honstly say i wish i had done it years ago .... having never done care work to what i do now had been a complete change to my life id say go with your gut instinct and give it a try ... but as above person says above the demetia part and disabilities come as part of the job as a carer so its something you would have to try i didnt think i would be able to do it but ... well i did and im glad i did x hope this helps x

i worked in the supermarket trade for 26 years then i had a total career change and went into home care for the elderly i absolutley adored this job but it was soul destroying the pay and the hours were rubbish but i loved the job so continued then at the begining of last year i found a job as a support worker in a day centre with adults with learning and physical disabilities and i can honstly say i wish i had done it years ago .... having never done care work to what i do now had been a complete change to my life id say go with your gut instinct and give it a try ... but as above person says above the demetia part and disabilities come as part of the job as a carer so its something you would have to try i didnt think i would be able to do it but ... well i did and im glad i did x hope this helps x

Sharon, I found your post really uplifting. We hear so many stories about the bad things that happen these days that it's great to know that their are still people out there who really care and are dedicated to their caring profession.

I know the pay is lousy and the job is hard, but I for one would like to thank you for all the work you do, and I'm sure their are many, many others who feel the same. Long may you continue, and other equally kind, committed people join you. You and your skills are deeply needed by so many.

I had just turned 62 when I found myself out of work with little hope of finding employment. The only people that were hiring in the area were Aged Care. So I did a 6 month government sponsored course and became a care assistant. After a further 3 months on the job training I now work in a secure dementia unit with 8 residents and one carer. As Jomie said, it is a very hard work as this is a high-care facility. There are facilities which are low-care, the work is lighter, no lifting apparatus is used and the residents are easier to work with. Overall, I'm glad I didn't enter this profession earlier, I don't think I could have made a career out of it. I have immense respect for people such as Sharon and the majority of my colleagues here as the industry really needs people with their patience, skill and determination.

I think if an elderly person didn't have dementia or disabilities then they wouldn't need a carer! Their family probably could meet the needs of the person. Even if they didn't have any of the above they may have an illness which leaves them weak and unable to dress, toilet and prepare meals etc.

Hi, hello, I worked for many years as a support worker, for social services, in Sheffield.

I had to do my L D A F, required by governmental directive, did lots of training, that was mandatory, and quite rightly so.

I worked for the disabilities directorate, in home care and day services.

Doing sleep ins, and being at work for long hours.

I was a former nurse, and wanted a change of direction, it was hard at first, but went on an intensive 6 week training course, at Brockwood training centre, in Woodhouse.

I loved my job, it was varied, difficult at times, but very rewarding.

When the government cuts were introduced, it changed, and not for the better, loss of outings, due to transport being cut, self directed payment, for service users.

Everything was spoke shaved.

I am retired now, and I realy miss working, and my work mates.

I worked till I was 63 years old, I could have retired at 60, but carried on working.

I had a permenant contract, and on the top pay increment, after 5 years service.

That has all changed, as well, its nil hour contracts, no holiday pay, or sickness pay. this is due to the cuts.

Lets hope Mrs May, has more empathy for the vonerable ! and careworkers.

Edited by mrsmontague
spelling error