Horse and Jockey Wadsley Lane

Recently taken over by Stancill Brewery. Called in last night. Pleasantly surprised and whilst it is still a work in progress it is now somewhere to visit rather than avoid. ( I have lived 300 yards away for nearly 5 years and been in twice, the second time only because of a morbid sense of curiosity)

All Stancill at present. Opens at 17.00 through the week till midnight.

Midday at weekends till midnight.

Just for info everybody.

(57,61 to the door. Other buses to Dykes Rd/Far Lane then 5 min walk)

Funny you should say that Lurgh Mor, because I also grew up within about 200 yards of the Horse and Jockey on Wadsley Lane, my mum still lives in the same house I grew up in, yet of all the pubs I happily have drink in round there when I visit my mum - like The Rose and Crown (i.e "t' Top House), The Wadsley Jack, The Sportsan, The Park,...it never occurs to me to go to t'Jockey - even though it's the nearest pub. I've been in there maybe no more than half a dozen times in the last 40-odd years. On the few occasions that I have been in there, it's seemed like an ok pub - a bit boring and lacking in atmosphere perhaps - but perfectly pleasant.

Since The Beehive closed down and became a Tesco a few years ago, the next nearest pub to my family home is The Castle, halfway down Dyke's Hall Rd - yet I've never even once set foot in there. There's no explainable reason why I haven't ever been in The Castle - I just haven't got around to it yet.... even though my family have lived just up the road since the mid-60's!!

Last time I went in The Castle my shoes kept sticking to the floor. It was awful - BUT it was years ago and I think they were about to undergo a major refurb? There were some nice people in and the DJ/KJ there was great - played a bit of Northern Soul - is he still there?

Last time I went in The Castle my shoes kept sticking to the floor. It was awful - BUT it was years ago and I think they were about to undergo a major refurb? There were some nice people in and the DJ/KJ there was great - played a bit of Northern Soul - is he still there?

It has been refurbished. Don't know about the DJ. It's ok but a bit pricey as it is tied.

often wondered about the Castle. Doesn't look like an events type pub from outside, it looks old-geezer with their stouts.

Do Stancill Brewery have a decent range? Is it real ales? It'd be nice to have the jockey back as a pleasant boozer - last few times I've been in its been fairly grim, lovely staff, but wannabe gangster customers put me off a bit!

I suppose it'd be too much to ask for to have the excellent music quizzes of yesteryear back :hihi:

10 hand pumps with Stancill beers, Thatchers Gold cider, Sheffield Pilsner and Sam Smiths Extra Stout is the current range.

Cheers Lurgh Mor! Definitely worth a visit then :D

Called in here this evening to have a look, my first time ever in this pub.

Most handpulls are £2:50 I think.

I had the Stainless, and although it wasn't not decent quality, there was something just not quite right, a slight aftertaste. It wasn't 'off' or looked crap,maybe just a one off or a new barrel that tasted 'new'

As for the pub itself, it certainly is a work in progress, as it's quite bare in places, the old smoke room has just had a lick of emulsion, the lounge looked comfy enough and outside should be OK for the kids to play a while.

I think the opening night is July 29th.

Worth a visit, and nice to see Stancill make an effort, be interesting to see if it finds a market in the area.

Visited my family on The Sutton Estate last week and went in t'Jockey for the first time in many a long year. I agree that it's still a work in progress yet, but it's definitely better than it was. The young woman running the place seems to really want to make a go of it, the staff were lovely and although it wasn't very full when I went in on Friday night, the atmosphere was pleasant. Wasn't very impressed with the beer though. A vast array of Stancill's beers. l'd never had Stancill's before, so tried a half of a different beer each time. I had about 4 or 5 halves and didn't like any of 'em - they were all flat, all warm and all had a funny, faintly unpleasant taste about them... not exactly vile, as such - but I certainly won't be in any rush to drink Stancill's beers in future!

not been for a while but if they put a few bands/singers on every so often could do well .

Thanks Lurgh Mor for your kind words. Your continued custom and words of support & encouragement have been much appreciated.

We are the Horse & Jockey, Stancill Brewery Tap, and we are indeed a working progress. Our refurbishment, product development and August events calendar will be complete by the 29th July, ready for our grand opening.

Sheffandy, we are sorry that the Stainless wasn't to your liking, same for FIRETHORN1, we are sorry that you weren't fully satisfied by your drinks. Please ask for tasters when visiting in future and we will be happy to oblige in order to find you the perfect pint from our range of ten real ales.

The Manager, we are hosting Craft & Live evenings every Saturday from the 6th which should be great fun!

Feargal, we look forward to meeting you.

Lex Luther & hyper, we couldn't possibly comment!

Enjoy the sun everyone!