Windows 7 update problem..HELP

This is REALLY bugging me. Did a fresh install of Win 7 pro sp1 DVD and re-activated it online, and trying to get some windows updates to work. I get the notification area icon saying updates are available, and updates is set to download and install automatically. The update box just says Checkng for updates...and that is all it does.

Been running the machine now for 5 days, connected constantly to the net, plus a few reboots too. Installed updates only identified one update and that is windows update agent on the day I reinstalled win 7....thats it.... and no other updates, yet the updates available icon appears all the time, but nothing seems to happen.

Anyone an expert in this Windows 7 issue?

I have noticed Windows Update can take a day or two to display the list of available updates.

If you consider how many thousands (tens of thousands?) of security updates, optional updates, recommended updates, critical updates, driver updates, and, er, Windows 10 nagware updates have been made available since Windows 7 was released back in . . . 2009 I think it was, your computer has to look through that list, determine which ones are relevant, and present you that list. That could be the reason your computer seems to have done nothing for several days.

Is Task Manager showing svchost.exe instance, or the Windows Update client taking up most of your RAM and a fair chunk of CPU? If so, that's a good sign it's still working!

I have noticed Windows Update can take a day or two to display the list of available updates.

If you consider how many thousands (tens of thousands?) of security updates, optional updates, recommended updates, critical updates, driver updates, and, er, Windows 10 nagware updates have been made available since Windows 7 was released back in . . . 2009 I think it was, your computer has to look through that list, determine which ones are relevant, and present you that list. That could be the reason your computer seems to have done nothing for several days.

Is Task Manager showing svchost.exe instance, or the Windows Update client taking up most of your RAM and a fair chunk of CPU? If so, that's a good sign it's still working!

yes windows update is running in task manager.....but just doesn't seem to be doing anything. closed everything else down, There is no hard disk activity and no net traffic flowing, so what on earth can it be doing for so long. And now the updates are available icon has vanished completely......windows defender says last updated 2010 so I dont trust it for security and protection much

How much RAM and CPU is Windows Updates taking?

And is there a svchost.exe instance taking a fair chunk of RAM and CPU as well?

Have a look at this;

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

You need to download and install this first;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

And then this;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3125574

That should get you up to date.

hi there, its not to difficult a problem to solve, Microsoft no longer support win 8.1 and lower and some updates are unavailable and can cause a problem with some fresh installs pm me for a solution

I had a similar problem earlier in the year, see the following link:

(note I copied the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder before deleting)

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/cannot-run-windows-update-on-a-windows-7-pc/

Note1: Support for Windows-7 ends January 2020. Support or Windows-8.1 ends January 2023, an earlier post saying these

operating systems are no longer supported is just wrong!

Note2: Updating to Windows-10 may only compound your problem. However if you want to try it, make a w7 system image and recovery disc before electing to update.

Edited by Mikes10

Windows 7 support ends 14.01.2020

Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support

Windows XP Service Pack 3 April 14, 2009 April 8, 2014

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 April 10, 2012 April 11, 2017

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 January 13, 2015 January 14, 2020

Windows 8 Windows 8.1 January 9, 2018 January 10, 2023

Windows 10, released in July 2015** N/A October 13, 2020 October 14, 2025

From;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet