England - Where Do We Go From Here?

Its very clear and has been for a number of years that the game in England needs a complete overhaul as the Germans sucessfully did after 2000, the FA, the Premier League and Sky should be made to answer questions as to what will be done and made accountable.

It will never happen though as the cash generated and making some people very rich will prevent it ever happening.

If the qualification for big tournaments had not been made easier we wouldn't even qualify, a very sad state of affairs.

It's all about the quality of player.

Rashford showed more invention and skill in that 20 minute spell he was given against Wales than all the other players put together for the tournament.

He could well be in the same class as Neymar and Suarez.

Clyne looks to have decent class too.

The rest - just don't look to have that creative ability.

There is a complete lack of vision or skill particularly from the forward players.

There are no Trevor Francis,Glen Hoddle,Ray Wilkins,Trevor Brooking,Tony Woodcock,Kevin Keegan,Peter Beardsly,Chris Waddle,John Barnes or Paul Gasgoyne types - in the current crop.

Again,why Rashford did not start the game against Iceland on the left wing after his hugely impressive performance against Wales - is beyond me.

It's all about the quality of player.

Rashford showed more invention and skill in that 20 minute spell he was given against Wales than all the other players put together for the tournament.

He could well be in the same class as Neymar and Suarez.

Clyne looks to have decent class too.

The rest - just don't look to have that creative ability.

There is a complete lack of vision or skill particularly from the forward players.

There are no Trevor Francis,Glen Hoddle,Ray Wilkins,Trevor Brooking,Tony Woodcock,Kevin Keegan,Peter Beardsly,Chris Waddle,John Barnes or Paul Gasgoyne types - in the current crop.

Again,why Rashford did not start the game against Iceland on the left wing after his hugely impressive performance against Wales - is beyond me.

Why pick a centre forward to play out on the left wing? Here's a revolutionary thought - why don't we pick a left winger, or at least a player who has played wide before on a regular basis. I found myself missing danny welbeck last night - Danny Welbeck!!!! Rashford gave it the college try for 5 minutes but even if he had longer Iceland would have just shifted across as there was no width on the other wing. That squad was doomed from the off if hodgson was going to play 4-3-3. We'd have had more joy with a flat 4-4-2, but still no width.

But the players, young mostly, were playing in a familiar role for some and not others - rematch the match, it was ponderous because they had to think about what they had to do - it wasn't natural. They looked like strangers.

I think the whole season caught hodgson out. All of a sudden his bankers were off form or injured (some of which he picked anyway) and all of a sudden he had vardy, Kane, ali and rashford good, in form players and he didn't know what to do with them. He went to euros with no clue on how to set them up and who to play where so we had the Keegan-esque situation of 3 number 9s getting in each other's way whilst not giving any width. They dropped deep but they just (sometimes literally) stumbled into one of the three number 10s. It was desperate stuff. No tempo, no plan. Don't get me started on the defence but they did what I expected them to do eventually and ship goals the Italians could keep out in their sleep.

If Southgate comes he must be told in no uncertain terms no more square pegs in round holes. Pick players from Stoke or West Ham, Newcastle or burnley, just pick people who know their job. If that means no more vardy or even Rooney, so be it.

Iceland made us look like mugs (although I never understood the hoohah after the Russia match) and could have kept us out for another 90 minutes. That's not good enough.

those players were all rubbish too on the international stage. That list of players were basically playing from 1974 until 1996. During that time England failed to even qualify for the finals in four of the twelve, or 25% of the tournaments played during that time and they got a free pass to qualify for one of them as hosts.

just face up that England are not just rubbish now. They've always been rubbish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC33 View Post

those players were all rubbish too on the international stage. That list of players were basically playing from 1974 until 1996. During that time England failed to even qualify for the finals in four of the twelve, or 25% of the tournaments played during that time and they got a free pass to qualify for one of them as hosts.

just face up that England are not just rubbish now. They've always been rubbish.

I think what Mac33 was trying to point out is that in the current crop of players we don't have anyone who can spark the team.

If you look at the players he listed, I would definately pick likes of Keegan/Waddle/Barnes/Hoddle/Beardsley and Gascoigne- who individually could change a game.

That they were part of a group that mostly failed to progress further in finals, is not the case- I agree that as a TEAM England has been poor and some of that is down to the management structure and FA.

I don't think England's problem is so much with the players, it is mainly with management and the people who are picking the managers and trainers etc. Roy was a likeable person, but he did not have the understanding of what it takes to win at major tournaments. Changing out 6 players to rest people ? To get to the final we needed to have the best 11 for every game, we could not afford to lose in the last 16 !

He was too cautious, too old and too entrenched in "The way the FA wants it."

Dyck and all the others at the FA living high off the hog need to be replaced. They have been in place too long and presided over too many failures. They have produced nothing but embarrassment for the country. I shudder to think what they are paying themselves.

Any England manager should get a one year contract, renewable only if results warrant it, and be around 50 years old or less. 50% of their pay should be linked to performance, ie. winning games performance ! Same with the FA senior people, one year only, renewable, based on results. Put people like Ferguson or Mourinho on the selection committee !

I don't think England's problem is so much with the players, it is mainly with management and the people who are picking the managers and trainers etc. Roy was a likeable person, but he did not have the understanding of what it takes to win at major tournaments. Changing out 6 players to rest people ? To get to the final we needed to have the best 11 for every game, we could not afford to lose in the last 16 !

Dyck and all the others at the FA living high off the hog need to be replaced. They have been in place too long and presided over too many failures. They have produced nothing but embarrassment for the country. I shudder to think what they are paying themselves.

Any England manager should get a one year contract, renewable only if results warrant it, and be around 50 years old or less. 50% of their pay should be linked to performance, ie. winning games performance ! Same with the FA senior people, one year only, renewable, based on results. Put people like Ferguson or Mourinho on the selection committee !

I'm sorry but the blame is squarly on the players shoulders, England have the mentaility that only 4 teams in PL can provide players for England. Ireland, ROI & Wales all have a different mentaility and pick players on ability not club, and 2 of them went out with pride 1 still in, and we went out with no more than a whimper..

They are talking today about Wenger if he gets the job I'll never watch England again, I'll paint a door and watch it dry god the man is like mogadon.

Hey Bypassblade, we are saying the same thing. If your concern is how the players are picked, and where from, then it goes back to the manager and selectors. I am saying change them all !

We need a manager that wins games and keeps us in the top 5 or 6 teams in the world. I don't care if he comes from Mogadishu !!!

I'd give Cresswell a few games at left back,Clyne at right back and Stones to partner Smalling at centre half.

Not much I see coming through in midfield so much the same but Rooney is out of physical shape and has to go.

Carroll for all his critics is not a bad footballer. He has a thunderbolt shot and good skills. I'd give him another chance.

Chamberlain on the right,Vardy and Carroll up front with Rashford on the left wing.

Dier and Drinkwater as a two man midfield.

Forster as the GK.

Not a great team but a damn sight better than Hodgson came up with!

Edited by MAC33

I don't think England's problem is so much with the players, it is mainly with management and the people who are picking the managers and trainers etc. Roy was a likeable person, but he did not have the understanding of what it takes to win at major tournaments. Changing out 6 players to rest people ?

Italy picked their second string against the ROI and then played Spain off the park in the last 16.

I'm sorry but the blame is squarly on the players shoulders, England have the mentaility that only 4 teams in PL can provide players for England. Ireland, ROI & Wales all have a different mentaility and pick players on ability not club, and 2 of them went out with pride 1 still in, and we went out with no more than a whimper..

They are talking today about Wenger if he gets the job I'll never watch England again, I'll paint a door and watch it dry god the man is like mogadon.

By the way. ROI and Ireland is the same place (and football team). Perhaps you meant Northern Ireland who along with Wales and the bi-annually dysfunctional 'Jocks', (who fifty years ago were the best footballing British team. never mind what England did !) Have to rely on limited resources and the England team have the same problem too ie; Footballers !

Hodgson made bad choices with the squad, team selection, substitutions and tactics (quite a lot really) but he can't do anything about highly paid and rated players not being able to control a ball, pass accurately and take corners and free kicks with any success, the whole thing is a monumental mess but will not change in my lifetime, we may as well not embarrass ourselves further with the national team and scrap it.