Wedding hair and makeup

Group Leader Note: This thread has been running for a while but is still very current. Older contributions start on this page, but there are more recent ones closer to the end of it.

Classic Rock

Edited by Classic Rock

Hello!

I'm getting married in Harrogate on 26th but need to get waxed, eyelash tint and get my hair dyed/highlighted here within next couple of weeks.

Can anyone please advise me of where is good?

I went to Poseurs to get my eyebrows waxed last month but she burnt my eyelid and it was a bit red for a while so I don't want that!

Plus when I got waxed before on my bikini line, I got white heads so any tips to prevent that would be really helpful too. They used tea tree wax, I used tea tree oil after etc but came up with loads. Thank you. :)

Your eyebrows are bound to be red after youve had them waxed, its nothing to do with the person doing it incorrectely, although if she burnt you, I can see why it put you off. Make sure you leave it a couple of days before the wedding so the redness will have gone for definite.

The skin was peeling off for about 3 days and it was an obvious burnt patch where the redness didn't go down for about a week. Not nice but I've been there several times before with no problems. I'd just be worried it was the same person but I didn't take much notice of what she looked like unfortunatly.

Just really need a hair colouring place. I've only had my hair cut in Sheffield and never dyed so if anyone can recommend anywhere I'd be very greatful.

I've done a quick search and couldn't find a thread that was suited to my problem.

Basically I'm getting married next month and my nails are short and quite scruffy.

I hate having long nails and I don't want anything semi-permanent (as long as they last about a week). However I do want something professional looking.

Any ideas? Cost is not an issue. So if people advise I go and have gels done and then get them removed, I don't mind. I'd have a french manicure for the big day.

Also if people have good experiences of any salons in the city centre that also do pedicures, would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Hi spicey, i had tips put on my nails for my big day. They last approx 1-2 weeks, you can buy some gel/liquid to soak them off if you want them off sooner.

I had a french manicure finish, then on my wedding ring finger I had a heart shape sprayed into the white tip, and a tiny diamante in the centre. It was a nice touch.

Unfortunately the woman who did mine is no longer in sheffield, but there are plenty of nail salons around who will offer the same kind of thing.

Thanks astronaut77, that sounds ideal for me. Just need to find a place in Sheffield (that comes recommended).

Thanks for the D2J, I just thought that doing your nails can be quite general, I'm sure there are loads of women out there who take pride in theirs, unlike me :(

Your nail sounds like mine. :hihi:

Can't really advice, apart from the suggestion of a French Manicure too. What I do remember from talking to my cousins who did get theirs done is, to really get rid of it sooner after you're done with the wedding. Cos the nail starts to grow underneath it. Also, do choose one that does not strip off too much of the base. I can't remember which method is better now.

Anyhow, the likes of Virgin Active does have a wedding package. It may have French manicure in there. I know there is also a specific nail place on West St. I'm not sure how good they are. There is also another nail place in Meadowhall, near M&S. Hope that helps.

Hey, congratulations by the way! :)

Thanks astronaut77, that sounds ideal for me. Just need to find a place in Sheffield (that comes recommended).
If you've got time before the big day, you could go to a couple of salons and test them out. In my experience, the big salons aren't as good as the independent small boutiques. The lady I went to worked in a small beauty salon in Handsworth - I only discovered her because I saw the sign as I drove past one day. Might be worth just trying a couple of local ones in your area (they are cheaper too!).

Your nail sounds like mine. :hihi:

Can't really advice, apart from the suggestion of a French Manicure too. What I do remember from talking to my cousins who did get theirs done is, to really get rid of it sooner after you're done with the wedding. Cos the nail starts to grow underneath it. Also, do choose one that does not strip off too much of the base. I can't remember which method is better now.

Anyhow, the likes of Virgin Active does have a wedding package. It may have French manicure in there. I know there is also a specific nail place on West St. I'm not sure how good they are. There is also another nail place in Meadowhall, near M&S. Hope that helps.

Hey, congratulations by the way! :)

Thanks Bago, can't wait until its over. I actually don't care if my nails look a mess, is anyone even going to look that closely?

If you've got time before the big day, you could go to a couple of salons and test them out. In my experience, the big salons aren't as good as the independent small boutiques. The lady I went to worked in a small beauty salon in Handsworth - I only discovered her because I saw the sign as I drove past one day. Might be worth just trying a couple of local ones in your area (they are cheaper too!).

I don't have the time unfortunately so was hoping for somewhere in the city centre (which is where I live).

I've done a quick search and couldn't find a thread that was suited to my problem.

Basically I'm getting married next month and my nails are short and quite scruffy.

I hate having long nails and I don't want anything semi-permanent (as long as they last about a week). However I do want something professional looking.

Any ideas? Cost is not an issue. So if people advise I go and have gels done and then get them removed, I don't mind. I'd have a french manicure for the big day.

Also if people have good experiences of any salons in the city centre that also do pedicures, would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Spicey, I'm a nurse so my nails are not very glamerous due to all the hand washing and alcohol rubs.

I started using diamond strength formula about a month before my wedding. I reapplied it every couple of days and it gave my nails enough strength to grow to a reasonable length.

I had a french manicure on the morning of my wedding and they looked lovely, and I was very proud that they were all my own!