Diabetics: Can a cup of tea with sweetener raise your blood sugar levels?

As thread title.

This morning I accidentally forgot to test my blood sugar levels before eating or drinking. Normally I'm pretty good, but due to being distracted early this morning, it kinda got missed.

I only had one cup of tea with sweeteners before testing. When I did test, my levels were 11.5! This is abnormally high for me (I tend to be anywhere between 5 and 8 first thing in a morning)

I didn't have anything sweet yesterday - and ate dinner about 7pm last night.

Confused.com

:confused:

Sweetners can't raise you BMs as far as I'm aware as they're not sugar based.

It could just be a rogue reading, when was your machine last callibrated?

No, milk has carbohydrate in it so that can raise your blood sugars, sweetners have no affect at all.

I wouldn't worry too much tbh sTaGeWaLkEr. Have you been diabetic long? You'll soon learn that even if you do exactly the same things day in, day out, your blood sugar levels will be different. It frustrates a lot of 'new starters' as it's not something that can be regulated to a high degree.

No, milk has carbohydrate in it so that can raise your blood sugars, sweetners have no affect at all.

I wouldn't worry too much tbh sTaGeWaLkEr. Have you been diabetic long? You'll soon learn that even if you do exactly the same things day in, day out, your blood sugar levels will be different. It frustrates a lot of 'new starters' as it's not something that can be regulated to a high degree.

Was probably the milk then.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not worried - it was just unusual. But then again, I don't normally have a cuppa at 6am before testing half an hour later. :)

I've been diabetic since Oct last year - and by and large, I'm doing pretty ok with it. My HSBC (sic) test is good anyway. :)

Sweetners can't raise you BMs as far as I'm aware as they're not sugar based.

I thought that too. Although Lizz hates me using them because she tells me they're likely to fry my brain or something...:help:

I gave up sugar - I'm damned if I'm gonna give up sweeteners! :hihi:

Was probably the milk then.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not worried - it was just unusual. But then again, I don't normally have a cuppa at 6am before testing half an hour later. :)

I've been diabetic since Oct last year - and by and large, I'm doing pretty ok with it. My HSBC (sic) test is good anyway. :)

Was it full fat milk? Are you stressed? This can affect BMs. With women, hormonal fluctuations can also affect their readings, but I am assuming this doesn't apply to you.:D

I thought that too. Although Lizz hates me using them because she tells me they're likely to fry my brain or something...:help:

I gave up sugar - I'm damned if I'm gonna give up sweeteners! :hihi:

That's Lizz for you!! All very well, but diabetics have no choice in the matter, so thank heaven for sugar substitutes.

If you're stressed though it can affect your blood sugars. Adrenalin is an antagonist to insulin.

You should be eating breakfast though naughty :nono:to try and maintain your blood sugar levels rather than having hypos and hypers.

I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd pregnancy and ended up on insulin at 28 weeks gestation. It cleared up aftewards though.

Some people seem to think that aspartame (one of the ingrediants of sweetner) is a dangerous chemical and should be banned. There was a thread about it causing cancer and mood swings.

Tests took place on mice, they had to drink the equivalent of 8 litres of coke a day for the cancer to start. I can honestly say I've been drinking diet drinks for at least 25 years (been diabetic for nearly 26 now) and I'm extremely healthy and don't suffer from any side affects that I'm aware of.

As thread title.

This morning I accidentally forgot to test my blood sugar levels before eating or drinking. Normally I'm pretty good, but due to being distracted early this morning, it kinda got missed.

I only had one cup of tea with sweeteners before testing. When I did test, my levels were 11.5! This is abnormally high for me (I tend to be anywhere between 5 and 8 first thing in a morning)

I didn't have anything sweet yesterday - and ate dinner about 7pm last night.

Confused.com

:confused:

Is 11.5 a high reading then? Mine is 22 and I'm not diabetic

Is 11.5 a high reading then? Mine is 22 and I'm not diabetic

The normal fasting one (ie first thing in the morning) is between 2.5 and 4.5 (I think). Anything above 7.5-8.0 is considered as diabetic. 22 is very high. How do you know what it is btw?

The body produces a natural early-morning sugar dump from the liver (called the "dawn effect"). So a blood sugar test in the morning at a slightly different time to usual might have picked this up.