Christopher Hitchens Dies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/dec/16/christopher-hitchens-dies-aged-62

I was just reading the excerpts from the interview he did with Richard Dawkins a couple of days ago.

A great writer, even if you didn't agree with him - I liked how he didn't fit into the usual 'left v right' pigeon hole.

Check out his account of being waterboarded from 2008.

Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter said in the statement. "Those who read him felt they knew him, and those who knew him were profoundly fortunate souls."

How very true.

RIP

Sad news. I didn't always agree with what he had to say but he was always a joy to read/listen to, particularly when addressing the lazy arguments of others.

Sad news. I didn't always agree with what he had to say but he was always a joy to read/listen to, particularly when addressing the lazy arguments of others.

Totally - you could enjoy reading what he said, without agreeing. He was the opposite of idiots like Littlejohn or Clarkson who just spew bile.

George Eaton wrote recently that Christopher Hitchens was a "man that fought totalitarianism in all its forms".

That was what I most admired about him. Sometimes it's difficult to determine where the totalitarianism is coming from, and there often lies the disagreement.

But if we had more people like him, prepared to speak what they thought was the truth against totalitarianism, the world would be a better place.

A great loss indeed. If only more people would disembark from the left/right merry-go-round that gets us nowhere, the world would be a much better place.

For me he was the most impressive of the Four Horsemen as he understood that, when dealing with fundamentalism of any kind, logic, reason and scientific facts will only get you so far. He understood that, to have impact, you need to play them at their own game and be a better rhetorician and skilled speaker than any religious or political ideologist.

Edited by six45ive

R.I.P.

He always wrote such pointedly good articles, didn't hold back either - will be much missed

Such a sad loss of a voice of sanity in an age of nutters.

I loved his spats with George Galloway...Oh, well at least we still have his learned brother.....

This was an outstanding debate.

Only added first part, well oath watching.