Live Aid-25 years ago

Just been watching the documentary about Concorde and they had a clip from Live Aid, 13th July 1985.

Amazing, it's a quarter of a century ago. Don't know if there are any events to mark the anniversary, but it seems to be passing without people being reminded of what a fantastic global event it was.

Does anyone remember what they were doing that day?

I remember...I was watching live aid:hihi:

Just been watching the documentary about Concorde and they had a clip from Live Aid, 13th July 1985.

Amazing, it's a quarter of a century ago. Don't know if there are any events to mark the anniversary, but it seems to be passing without people being reminded of what a fantastic global event it was.

Does anyone remember what they were doing that day?

Yes. I was travelling to Banbury with a car full of belongings to take up my first job as a newly qualified staff nurse :) Listened to it on the radio.

I doubt there will be much going on to celebrate it, given that for all its good intentions it achieved less than nothing.

I remember the day, where I was and the build up to it - and donating £25 on my credit card, Bob Geldof swearing and Paula Yates and the pianist from the Squeeze talking about executive relief.

Me too, along with most of the rest of the world :)

The day after it, my daughter who would have been 6ish at the time, set up the pasting table at the gate, totally off her own bat, made a sign and sold her toys and sweets and whatever she could get her hands on from the house and garden. I think she raised about £6 from other passing children which we made up to a tenner for her.

It seems so long ago ... and apparently Bob never said "send us your f*****g money' at all. It's an urban myth!

Me too, along with most of the rest of the world :)

The day after it, my daughter who would have been 6ish at the time, set up the pasting table at the gate, totally off her own bat, made a sign and sold her toys and sweets and whatever she could get her hands on from the house and garden. I think she raised about £6 from other passing children which we made up to a tenner for her.

It seems so long ago ... and apparently Bob never said "send us your f*****g money' at all. It's an urban myth!

He said that or something very similar. I saw and heard him.

yeah i left school that year too...25 years

*hides*

Nothing more exciting to report that this, too. I was watching on my 1981 vintage Hitachi 16" portable and might have recorded something from it onto the trusty VHS tape. I was probably complaining about most of the artists performing. :D

Curiously I still have that 1981 TV and it still works but is rarely switched on.

In July 1985, I'd just finished school forever and would go to college two months later. I was driving my first car, a red 1977 Mini 1000 and was going through quite a dodgy fashion phase that I'd sooner forget. :D

He said that or something very similar. I saw and heard him.
So did I, and it was a shock in those days, to hear anyone swear let alone use obscene language on TV. :)

But the man who was running things on the day in the studio, has just been on saying that Bob didn't say those famous immortal words. He apparently took exception to being asked to read out the address for donations and said "**** the address, just send us your money" or words to that effect.

And we did, £120 million, a mere drop in the ocean, which seems to have gone exactly nowhere to solving the problems. :(

So did I, and it was a shock in those days, to hear anyone swear let alone use obscene language on TV. :)

But the man who was running things on the day in the studio, has just been on saying that Bob didn't say those famous immortal words. He apparently took exception to being asked to read out the address for donations and said "**** the address, just send us your money" or words to that effect.

And we did, £120 million, a mere drop in the ocean, which seems to have gone exactly nowhere to solving the problems. :(

That's it, I remember now, a bit like, 'Play it again Sam', those infamous words that were never uttered in the film 'Casablanca'.

Were him and Paula an item at the time?