The Hop, West One

Has this place closed?

I can't give an defiant answer but just looked at their ' Facebook' page the last post was on 26th January but nothing for February.

I can't give an defiant answer but just looked at their ' Facebook' page the last post was on 26th January but nothing for February.

Have a look at the visitor posts on there. Closure confirmed.

I went in 2 weeks ago, it was very much open, but dead. Since the barbecue guys moved it trade dropped right off

I went in 2 weeks ago, it was very much open, but dead. Since the barbecue guys moved it trade dropped right off

The Hop used to be a decent place, I always thought when the "BBQ collective" came along they were grasping at very short straws.

Guest makapaka

Always thought it looked dated at soon as it opened.

Surprised it's closed though.

Is it just the sheffield one? I was in the one in Leeds a few months back.

Hop Sheffield has indeed closed although i dont know ifcits permanent. All the taps etc appear to have been removed from the bar

Hop Sheffield has indeed closed although i dont know ifcits permanent. All the taps etc appear to have been removed from the bar

According to Facebook the site has been sold, no word yet of who to

People are really going to hate me for saying this, but it's just another example of Sheffield not embracing something a little different. The Hop in Wakefield does well. The one in Leeds is usually busy. The York offering is popular. Yet the one in Sheffield was better than all the others and well located, but just couldn't get the customers in as a beer bar. Despite the old manager really trying is hardest with the 'Green Hop' festivals. So sold half it's operation to a group of BBQ enthusiasts who were both too expensive and not as good as they thought they were. From then on it was always doomed.

I remember the good old days when you could take a walk from the Bath, thru to Anchorage, the Hop, Dev Cat and Brewdog - maybe even a stop in the Old House and Wick before heading onto Dada. Sad to think that was only two years ago and no longer possible. Yet a new beer bar opens up in Leeds every month. What is wrong with this place?

Guest makapaka
People are really going to hate me for saying this, but it's just another example of Sheffield not embracing something a little different. The Hop in Wakefield does well. The one in Leeds is usually busy. The York offering is popular. Yet the one in Sheffield was better than all the others and well located, but just couldn't get the customers in as a beer bar. Despite the old manager really trying is hardest with the 'Green Hop' festivals. So sold half it's operation to a group of BBQ enthusiasts who were both too expensive and not as good as they thought they were. From then on it was always doomed.

I remember the good old days when you could take a walk from the Bath, thru to Anchorage, the Hop, Dev Cat and Brewdog - maybe even a stop in the Old House and Wick before heading onto Dada. Sad to think that was only two years ago and no longer possible. Yet a new beer bar opens up in Leeds every month. What is wrong with this place?

I thought it was grim and poorly laid out inside - as I said earlier it looked like some kind of 90s theme pub.

A little bit surprised it's closed just cos i thought location alone would be enough to get people in but obviously not.

I don't think it's indicative of sheffield at all - just better places to go.

According to facebook, Hope & Anchor (ex anchorage) is also permanantley closed. Not surprised really, we went in after the rebrand and it was awful, staff couldnt even tell us who brewed the beers they had on the taps.

I couldn't agree with you more there used to be a brilliant route with great pubs and a varied selection of beers.

Hope and Anchor was doomed from the start as when it was the Anchorage it's bar offering was what brought people in, clearly the Anchorage wasn't doing well but to remove its main positive was a mistake. The Wick has also gone a bit westward as the last time we went in the had ran out of most things and half the cocktails couldn't be made and the beer was non existent.

The Hop should have worked but the beer could be inconsistent and as you say the food wasn't as good as other places.

How Brewdog survives is beyond me as it gets worse and worse.

Dada got greedy moving away from guest beers to overpriced Thornbridge beers that you get cheaper at The Bath

The Bath is a great pub but as they don't have a large selection most of which is standard Thornbridge it is a bit isolated.

In general Sheffield seems to have taken a nose dive, The Head of Steam is so inconsistent it's unreal and they've got rid of the BBQ food which was decent.

I've not been in The Rutland in ages after a few bad experiences with food, poor beers and staff which is a shame as it was always my favourite place in Sheffield.

The Shakey just seems to be a shadow of its former self and the new place across the road doesn't seem to offer enough.

As you say Leeds, Manchester even Nottingham can support some really decent places but we can't.