Psalter Tavern - Closed

Noticed its permanently closed. Anyone know whats happened with it?

It's up for sale for £950,000.

How sad.

Some good memories their a long time ago was rammed Friday and Saturday when it was a separate pub and hotel bar.Always felt they lost the public bar "feel" when they combined the two.

I am rather sad that this place has closed down.

Noticed its permanently closed. Anyone know whats happened with it?

I was a duty manager there until it closed, the place was a disgrace in my opinion, lots of issues that would never be dealt with by the powers that be, the writing was on the wall for a while, only allowing £300 a week budget for stock which essentially is around two barrels, £80 a week food budget, when the minimum order was £100. There was a hole in the roof of the main bar area which they never sorted, no heating in the pub area due to broken radiators.

The hotel rooms weren't up to much either, but I suppose for £30/£40 a night at timesyou couldn't expect The Ritz, its well worth a read of the trip advisor reviews!

BUt yeah closed over a month ago, staff were told that it would be closed for a week to ten days for a bit of maintenance, when what really happened was, we had no call from anyone just a P45 in the post and all staff made redundant. I feel sorry for the people that have booked rooms and paid deposits for parties in advance because I'll be surprised if they ever get anything back.

What are the plans for the building?

Has CAMRA said anything on the situation?

I guess the closure of the Uni Campus a few years ago had a knock on affect. They should turn it into a Real Ale pub

I was a duty manager there until it closed, the place was a disgrace in my opinion, lots of issues that would never be dealt with by the powers that be, the writing was on the wall for a while, only allowing £300 a week budget for stock which essentially is around two barrels, £80 a week food budget, when the minimum order was £100. There was a hole in the roof of the main bar area which they never sorted, no heating in the pub area due to broken radiators.

The hotel rooms weren't up to much either, but I suppose for £30/£40 a night at timesyou couldn't expect The Ritz, its well worth a read of the trip advisor reviews!

BUt yeah closed over a month ago, staff were told that it would be closed for a week to ten days for a bit of maintenance, when what really happened was, we had no call from anyone just a P45 in the post and all staff made redundant. I feel sorry for the people that have booked rooms and paid deposits for parties in advance because I'll be surprised if they ever get anything back.

I'm truly sorry for you and other members of staff that have lost their jobs. Generally speaking hotel staff are some of the hardest working around and I hope everyone finds something soon. I am sure as a Duty Manager you'll know all about long hours!!

Rooms being sold at £30 / £40.00 and not being able to make it work and there are those on this forum who can see the merit of a 5 star hotel in Sheffield.

Confused

The ad says it leased until 2030

So why is it closed?

Guest makapaka
I'm truly sorry for you and other members of staff that have lost their jobs. Generally speaking hotel staff are some of the hardest working around and I hope everyone finds something soon. I am sure as a Duty Manager you'll know all about long hours!!

Rooms being sold at £30 / £40.00 and not being able to make it work and there are those on this forum who can see the merit of a 5 star hotel in Sheffield.

Well a £30 room above above a pub in brincliffe is a bit different to a 5 star hotel in the town centre isn't it.

It's a shame about the psalter i always liked it - prob ripe for change to

Flats round there now?

What are the plans for the building?

Has CAMRA said anything on the situation?

I guess the closure of the Uni Campus a few years ago had a knock on affect. They should turn it into a Real Ale pub

What does CAMRA have to do with it? Nothing.

The campus closed in 2008, that is a pretty slow demise.

Lawlessdan seems to have the most insight, clearly it wasn't making any money and the operator decided it was better closed than open. Seems to have been run by Parity bars, a quick Google suggests they have had financial issues.

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/lender-takes-control-after-bars-deal-sours

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/tfg-capital-backs-takeover-of-parity-bars-1-7242296

Looks like they also operated the Varsity Bars too at some point, both of course closed too.

"The company currently known as Parity Bars Limited was known under the name Varsity Bars until 2014-01-24 then the name was changed. "

Around there you have the Porter Cottage, The Lescar and The Stag, all do relatively well from what I know. Just up you have the POW and soon to be Miller and Carter a bit further out. Even the Banner isnt too bad, but probably a different clientele.

Edited by jamesogt

What does CAMRA have to do with it? Nothing.

The campus closed in 2008, that is a pretty slow demise.

Lawlessdan seems to have the most insight, clearly it .

I asked the question as I've a feeling it'll not be kept as a public house .

CAMRA may have an idea what's happening.

The closing of the campus of which I live near had an affect on the pub and also bus service.

OK clever cloggs;)