Best British actor ever, who would you pick

Every body has an actor, male or female, who is a personal favourite, I am talking British only in this post. Mine is John Hurt, let's go from there.

Robert Donat.

I'm not sure if it's possible to pick a best actor. It's entirely subjective. For example, many would say Judi Dench. But I think, she's over-exposed and over-used and doesn't do a thing for me, and demonstrates a lack of original though on the part of the casting director

In a different field, there's also the example of the music business. The 'Best Act' in whatever category is really a popularity contest, rather than a test of actual skill. One Direction have won lots of 'best' awards, but I think most would agree that they aren't actually literally the best at anything-except in current popularity.

With acting, much depends on script, lighting, cinematography etc. There are lots of actors I like, but it would be hard to define a 'best' as such..

I'm not sure if it's possible to pick a best actor. It's entirely subjective. For example, many would say Judi Dench. But I think, she's over-exposed and over-used and doesn't do a thing for me, and demonstrates a lack of original though on the part of the casting director

In a different field, there's also the example of the music business. The 'Best Act' in whatever category is really a popularity contest, rather than a test of actual skill. One Direction have won lots of 'best' awards, but I think most would agree that they aren't actually literally the best at anything-except in current popularity.

With acting, much depends on script, lighting, cinematography etc. There are lots of actors I like, but it would be hard to define a 'best' as such..

Agreed about Judy Dench..........I much prefer Emily Watson if we are talking living actors!

Michael Caine for me. Although I've always found David Warner to be consistently good. And, dare I say it, Hugh Grant has been kind of OK.

James Mason or Robert Donat

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 13:16 ----------

Female: Patricia Hayes for Edna the Inebriate Woman or Julie Walters

Edited by denlin

I've only seen Donat in 39 Steps. Are his other film works good? Only one I know but not seen is Goodbye Mr Chips.

Goodbye Mr Chips the original was a classic. Martin Clunes is a great actor but Robert Donat stole that part :love:

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 13:59 ----------

Classic pieces of British acting are Leslie Howard in Pimpernel Smith and James Mason in A Star is Born.

Edited by denlin

Stan Laurel.

Alec Guinness

Pete Postlethwaite

Alistair Simms

George Saunders

Maggie Smith

Margret Rutherford

Helen Mirren

Gemma Collins

Edited by cassity

I've only seen Donat in 39 Steps. Are his other film works good? Only one I know but not seen is Goodbye Mr Chips.

An all time great, Warning! have an Hanky at the ready.:sad:

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 17:00 ----------

How wierd, I havn't seen Goodbye Mr Chips on Telly for years, and just after I posted the Previous post, I picked up the TV book, to see what is on next week, and got as far as Wednesday aft and as bold as brass, there it was, Goodbye Mr Chips, HOW STRANGE!:wow:

Edited by PRESLEY
w

Every body has an actor, male or female, who is a personal favourite, I am talking British only in this post. Mine is John Hurt, let's go from there.

oh god no, he's the poor thing who have that "thing" tear itself out of his belly in Alien, wasn't he? And he had another unfortunate demise in the Ghoul, too. "MMMOOOOOOOOO" <-- best line in the film!

He always looks pale and unwell.

I think I'll go for Sir Michael Caine as my favourite British actor. I could do with a butler like Alfred J Pennyworth