Best Indian restaurant / curry house in Sheffield - Megathread

I say Mogul on Sharrow Vale road.

Love the lamb chops in curry there!

Gutted to hear Flouch Balti has closed down, last night was its final one.

Did you know "Balti" is actually the India/Pakistani term for "bucket"?

I never went to the Flouch Balti - drove past a few times but it looked like the most unappealing place to go - like some kind of cellar bar in a disused run down pub. I think you've got to be a certain type of person to look forward to a night out in a dump like that. Either that, or you live near to it and don't have much choice?

Anyhow, I am sorry to hear it's kicked the Balti as it were.

---------- Post added 21-04-2017 at 07:24 ----------

I say Mogul on Sharrow Vale road.

Love the lamb chops in curry there!

I prefer tandoori lamb chops served with a side dish of dal. Like the ones in Akbar's.

I've not been to the Mogul on Sharrow Vale Road for a few years. It was "ok" - nothing special, nothing really bad, when I visited. I remember the food was rather bland, i.e. not very spicy. It's an ideal place perhaps for people who are just getting into Indian food and are afraid of strong flavours. It's the kind of place which didn't leave me wanting to rush back. And I haven't.

In that area the best Indian restaurants are probably Ashoka and Prithi Raj. You will pay more for that though, being on Ecclesall Road.

I still think Akbar's is the best Indian (Pakistani) food in Sheffield - but I'm just not very keen on the West One restaurant. Although the menu is identical at all branches of Akbar's, be you in Leeds, Manchester or Sheffield, I just think the food and service at the Rotherham branch is better.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know of a good indian restaurant that does good veggie dishes?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know of a good indian restaurant that does good veggie dishes?

The Front Room in Hillsborough, next to Wetherspoons is nice Indian restaurant with good vegetarian food.

Akbars in West One and Aagrah in Leopold Square are also good. Maveli on West Street is more south Indian style but also very good.

Its sad that Ambars has shut really enjoyed it when I went

Did you know "Balti" is actually the India/Pakistani term for "bucket"?

I never went to the Flouch Balti - drove past a few times but it looked like the most unappealing place to go - like some kind of cellar bar in a disused run down pub. I think you've got to be a certain type of person to look forward to a night out in a dump like that. Either that, or you live near to it and don't have much choice?

Anyhow, I am sorry to hear it's kicked the Balti as it were.

'Interesting' and quite ignorant perception to be honest.

We went because we had heard very good things about it. There's no harm in trying a place out and if you don't like it, you don't go again. As it was it was a fantastic place, great staff and lovely food. It certainly wasn't a dump

The place existed before the pub closed down so people knew of the place. Sadly the pub closing made the exterior look like it did.

I would say I drive half of the time I go out for a curry so vicinity isn't a problem. I live about 6 miles away but was happy to make the trip on a regular basis.

Best quality and serviced Indian takeaway in Sheffield is takdir parchead no where better and I've tried nearly all and had some dog food liked dishes

Mogul on Sharrow Vale road is the best

Ambar on Ecclesall Rd has closed for good.

Summat to do with too much competition locally eh?

House of Spice and Urban Choola maybe killed it off?

I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. I tried it twice in the last few months and the place was cramped with bland food - hardly any spicing to it. The guys were really pleasant and friendly - but I go to restaurants for the food mainly - so lovely though they were it wasn't enough to make me want to go back.

---------- Post added 06-05-2017 at 08:13 ----------

'Interesting' and quite ignorant perception to be honest.

We went because we had heard very good things about it. There's no harm in trying a place out and if you don't like it, you don't go again. As it was it was a fantastic place, great staff and lovely food. It certainly wasn't a dump

The place existed before the pub closed down so people knew of the place. Sadly the pub closing made the exterior look like it did.

I would say I drive half of the time I go out for a curry so vicinity isn't a problem. I live about 6 miles away but was happy to make the trip on a regular basis.

So, you agree then that the place looked a dump from the outside. What I am saying is that this puts me off. Sorry if that's ignorant, but I think it's pretty valid actually. If they can't make an effort to make the place look appealing from the outside then what on earth is going on on the inside?would be my concern.

I didn't know that the Flouch Balti had a good reputation for food - so yes I am ignorant about that. Out of curiosity I looked it up on TripAdvisor (and yes, I know there's a lot of fake reviews and rubbish on there too). I found this review interesting - it's the first one on there...

" the upper level of the Flouch became a derelict, probably rat infested eyesore which actually dissuaded people from dining downstairs in the Balti house, some actually thought the building was abandoned."

There you go! Seems like I'm not the only one who was put off by the dismal appearance from the outside. To be fair, if I had known that this place was turning out top quality Indian food I would have definitely tried it. But for casual dining, not as our main night out of the week! We like to make an effort, once a week, to dress up and go somewhere nice - and I'm afraid a place that looks like that from the outside would definitely NOT tick that box for either of us. "Grab your pearls darling - I've found a super little rat-infested eyesore to take you to tonight".

Midweek casual dining - yes maybe.

Anyhow, sounds like you are open-minded and willing to travel a bit for good Indian food. Please share some more recommendations from your side of town? We live on the South West side of the city but I will literally drive miles to go to good restaurants and Indian is one of my favourites.

Edited by DerbyTup

Summat to do with too much competition locally eh?

House of Spice and Urban Choola maybe killed it off?

I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. I tried it twice in the last few months and the place was cramped with bland food - hardly any spicing to it. The guys were really pleasant and friendly - but I go to restaurants for the food mainly - so lovely though they were it wasn't enough to make me want to go back.

---------- Post added 06-05-2017 at 08:13 ----------

So, you agree then that the place looked a dump from the outside. What I am saying is that this puts me off. Sorry if that's ignorant, but I think it's pretty valid actually. If they can't make an effort to make the place look appealing from the outside then what on earth is going on on the inside?would be my concern.

I didn't know that the Flouch Balti had a good reputation for food - so yes I am ignorant about that. Out of curiosity I looked it up on TripAdvisor (and yes, I know there's a lot of fake reviews and rubbish on there too). I found this review interesting - it's the first one on there...

" the upper level of the Flouch became a derelict, probably rat infested eyesore which actually dissuaded people from dining downstairs in the Balti house, some actually thought the building was abandoned."

There you go! Seems like I'm not the only one who was put off by the dismal appearance from the outside. To be fair, if I had known that this place was turning out top quality Indian food I would have definitely tried it. But for casual dining, not as our main night out of the week! We like to make an effort, once a week, to dress up and go somewhere nice - and I'm afraid a place that looks like that from the outside would definitely NOT tick that box for either of us. "Grab your pearls darling - I've found a super little rat-infested eyesore to take you to tonight".

Midweek casual dining - yes maybe.

Anyhow, sounds like you are open-minded and willing to travel a bit for good Indian food. Please share some more recommendations from your side of town? We live on the South West side of the city but I will literally drive miles to go to good restaurants and Indian is one of my favourites.

The 'ignorant' comment was more to the 'you have to be a certain type of person' statement.

As for making it look better I'm pretty sure the balti house had no influence on the main building. I hope they end up reopening somewhere but I believe they have gone their separate ways for now (into different places I mean) and i understand one if not more of the staff are now at the cinnamon spice in Penistone. An interim location didn't come off I believe.

As for other places - I ventured to Holmfirth last Thursday. First trip for a curry there but I'm less than 20 minutes away. Bengal Spice. Was excellent and will be returning regularly I think.

I like the cinnamon spice I referenced above and have enjoyed the Chilli a lodge as well despite its odd setting and reviews

Mogul on Sharrow Vale road is the best

I tried it there lots of times at the Mogul from when it was the previous name as it was local, until one night I almost spewed up on the fatty lamb neck used, so I gave up. Give me lean meat, mutton stewed if necessary, but don't give me fatty lamb neck.

---------- Post added 10-05-2017 at 17:56 ----------

Hi all

Finally found out why House of Spice closed. The owner moved to London, and wanted to do other things. Sad, but there you are. I knew it wasn't anything to do with the food, as it was difficult to get a table at weekends.