Kuckoo - West St..

Is it legal to 'free pour' a gin and tonic?

It is if:

1 - it's by trained staff that would stand up to an inspection by Weights & measures

2 - if it's described as a cocktail. Contrary to popular opinion a cocktail does not have to contain measured amounts of spirits. Which is why so many bars now serve them and don't mind taking time over it. They are hugely profitable.

Ive not been in yet - a friend of mine has tho and liked it - but its part of an expanding chain so they must be doing something right.

Well, 4. One of which is yet to open in Knutsford, a slightly different climate to West St. They wouldn't be the first business to get Sheffield wrong.

Couldn't Disagree more with the opening post, I went in Friday night at about 10 with my wife, her sister and the brother in law and we had a great few hours in there.

I thought the décor was done great especially with the illuminated long tables, the music and style is obviously towards the indie rock anthems that I grew up with in the 90's and 00's, I also like to think there is a little nod to Sheffields history of music and clubs especially the Kasbar.

Yes the drinks are a little more expensive but nothing drastic and the waitress service is a great touch

This in my opinion is a great addition to the Sheffield night life scene and something music wise that has been missing from Sheffield since the closure of the Kasbar

Oddly it also has 50 glowing reviews on Facebook, call me skeptical.

The music is no different to Maida Vale, I am not sure this can be compared to Kasbar by a million miles.

Well, 4. One of which is yet to open in Knutsford, a slightly different climate to West St. They wouldn't be the first business to get Sheffield wrong.

The music is no different to Maida Vale, I am not sure this can be compared to Kasbar by a million miles.

I'm not on Facebook so cant comment on that, and it wasn't my intention to compare it to the Kasbar I was just saying that I felt it gave a little nod to it which was what we all said when we walked in

but agree its similar to madia vale, and to the best of my recollection isn't much different in pricing either

I will be going back and really hope it takes off, cant have enough good bars for me

It is if:

1 - it's by trained staff that would stand up to an inspection by Weights & measures

2 - if it's described as a cocktail. Contrary to popular opinion a cocktail does not have to contain measured amounts of spirits. Which is why so many bars now serve them and don't mind taking time over it. They are hugely profitable.

To legally call it a cocktail it has to contain at least 3 liquids though, so gin and tonic wouldn't be covered

It is very expensive but very well done I just question whether there is a market for this Botanist and Cubanas all on top of each other , time will tell

Not to my personal taste but others may well disagree

Guest makapaka

Instead of speculating maybe just accept you don't like it and others might?

This sort of thing is symptomatic of new bar ventures in Sheffield - a new bar opens and people give it a try and if it's not to there tastes write a scathing review - then in some instances moan in other threads about a lack of options in the city compared to *insert any other northern city*

Instead of speculating maybe just accept you don't like it and others might?

This sort of thing is symptomatic of new bar ventures in Sheffield - a new bar opens and people give it a try and if it's not to there tastes write a scathing review - then in some instances moan in other threads about a lack of options in the city compared to *insert any other northern city*

Maybe people have been in and don't like it and just maybe they are entitled to voice there opinion on a public forum

Like it or not there is a significantly different demographic in Sheffield in that area than there is in Leeds and Manchester that's why I personally cant see it working

Open the same place at the top end of Ecclesall Road and they may be on to a winner

It is very expensive but very well done I just question whether there is a market for this Botanist and Cubanas all on top of each other , time will tell

Not to my personal taste but others may well disagree

Interestingly you quote 2 really well run businesses! Cubana had been around for years and built its business before moving to larger premises, and the Botanist is part of a massive buy out "KNUTSFORD based pub and restaurant operator New World Trading Company (NWTC) has been sold to private equity firm Graphite Capital in a deal reported to be £50m.

With 14 outlets nationwide under five brands – The Botanist, The Oast House, Smugglers Cove, The Trading House and The Club House – NWTC was founded by the late Tim Bacon and Jeremy Roberts as part of the Living Ventures group."

My money is on the 2 you mention long outlasting this.

Guest makapaka
Maybe people have been in and don't like it and just maybe they are entitled to voice there opinion on a public forum

Like it or not there is a significantly different demographic in Sheffield in that area than there is in Leeds and Manchester that's why I personally cant see it working

Open the same place at the top end of Ecclesall Road and they may be on to a winner

There is a difference between giving an opinion on a place and slating a place though.

Interestingly you quote 2 really well run businesses! Cubana had been around for years and built its business before moving to larger premises, and the Botanist is part of a massive buy out "KNUTSFORD based pub and restaurant operator New World Trading Company (NWTC) has been sold to private equity firm Graphite Capital in a deal reported to be £50m.

With 14 outlets nationwide under five brands – The Botanist, The Oast House, Smugglers Cove, The Trading House and The Club House – NWTC was founded by the late Tim Bacon and Jeremy Roberts as part of the Living Ventures group."

My money is on the 2 you mention long outlasting this.

If you read what I actually said so is mine lol I don't think theres room for a third entrant into this cocktail bar market in such a small area

Looking at how full Leopold Square was on a traditionally busy Easter Sunday afternoon I would imagine they are all three panicking

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 12:27 ----------

There is a difference between giving an opinion on a place and slating a place though.

If people want to slate it they are more than entitled to do so , in the same way as People who love it and wish to shout it from the rooftops have the same entitlement

Guest makapaka
If you read what I actually said so is mine lol I don't think theres room for a third entrant into this cocktail bar market in such a small area

Looking at how full Leopold Square was on a traditionally busy Easter Sunday afternoon I would imagine they are all three panicking

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 12:27 ----------

If people want to slate it they are more than entitled to do so , in the same way as People who love it and wish to shout it from the rooftops have the same entitlement

People can do what they want - I think it's unfair to do that to a business that has just reopened in the city over an issue of personal taste.

More constructive criticism would be more productive and less damaging in my opinion.

People can do what they want - I think it's unfair to do that to a business that has just reopened in the city over an issue of personal taste.

More constructive criticism would be more productive and less damaging in my opinion.

The constructive part is I and probably most others, don't need patronsing with a list of self indulgent ridiculous 'rules'. If I am paying for something i expect to get what I have asked and paid for not a fraction of it......Any business owner that thinks his door staff are best placed to decide on a dress code/someones eligibility to come and spend in their business is either naive or stupid.