The York, Broomhill, what do you think?

What should the York in Broomhill offer to the area  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What should the York in Broomhill offer to the area

• A Traditional and well run local Pub that caters for all ages 18 upwards
    • Cask Ales and aim to become a great addition to the Real Ale circuit
    • Continental bottled lagers and not just 'Carlsberg' + 'Heineken'
    • Excellent range of fine wines and not 'normal' pub plonk
    • Old fashioned vinyl jukebox (very unique now)
    • Classic Pinball machines
    • ZONED areas catering for students and non students
    • Live Music
    • DJ based Events
    • Dartboard
    • Pool table
    • restoration of original features of the interior
    • 'Chalkboards' as traditional Pub wall menus/offer displays
    • traditional pub table and stools
    • 'Comfortable' area with sofas
    • 'Juke box free' zone at one end of the Pub
    • Removal of all leftover O'Neills fittings, ie ceiling boarding, fake coving, etc
    • Classic Space invaders machine (sit down version)
    • Weekly Music and/or general knowledge quizzes

Wasn't sure whether to leave this thread alone (was it revived by accident or as mean joke :? )

But anyway, am still loving the new York - exactly what I want without having to traipse into town. Brilliant!

Wasn't sure whether to leave this thread alone (was it revived by accident or as mean joke :? )

Definitely a mean joke. This is Pragmatic's only other post, 2 years ago on this thread:

I would just like to draw attention to the point that everytime goldenfleece doesnt like what you say, they will report you and get your post taken down. Whereas they can spout whatever crap they see fit. im sure this post will be deleted in record timing, just as the last one was. Maybe i did take an immature front on that one but i was merely trying to point out the dove and rainbow have many misconceptions about broomhill and the type of customer they can bring in with eight new cask ales. Maybe just pensioners then.

I just thought i'd make people aware of the biased nature of this particular discussion.

peace out

Is it true what I've heard? They've wrecked a potentially half-decent pub and turned it into ANOTHER expensive/posh/no pooltables or any-form-of-entertainment type of place?

Haven't we got too many of those in Sheffield already?

Is it true what I've heard? They've wrecked a potentially half-decent pub and turned it into ANOTHER expensive/posh/no pooltables or any-form-of-entertainment type of place?

You're right that it was potentially half-decent. But it wasn't right in any of its various recent guises, but now it's very nice thanks.

Have we got too many of these type of pubs in Sheffield already? No, we haven't got enough. If you don't like it then go and play pool and do karaoke somewhere else, it's too busy as it is in there.

I would have preferred the old York (pre Irish pub, Scream days) any day but unfortunately M&B don't seem to be interested in real pubs anymore. Look at all the old ex Bass pubs they had in the South west of Sheffield. The York, Bulls Head, The Nursery, The Lescar, Rising Sun (Abbey Lane), Hammer & Pincers, Sportsman (Crosspool) etc ........ all now (or to be) dreaded gastro pubs. Atleast the York is full again and is much better IMO than the dreadful Lescar where the beer must be the worst in Sheffield.

Aye - there might be too many in Sheffield for your liking but there wasn't enough in Brooomhill (ie - any!)

Definitely not as expensive as lots of other places either!

No its not true what you have heard, they have taken a pub that was lovingly restored but still flawed (nothing to do with the owners though) and they have created a vibrant, busy, modern ale house serving great local food and great local beer.

Some would say we need more of these places!

I've had the odd duff pint in here recently. Maybe it's having too many ales on and not taking care of them. I also don't want the glass wiping with a napkin then placed on another napkin that I have to remove.

I generally like the place and the beer was reliable, so maybe I've just been unlucky recently?

Edited by Bilge

Owner has too many venues, is obviously greedy and has taken his eye off the ball in too many of his venues. Poor.

In there now. Good range of beers and nice atmosphere. Decor great, dogs welcome no big screen TV's. Ticks all my boxes.