Could Sheffield be revived like Liverpool was by Michael Heseltine?

I was in Liverpool this last week. It is difficult to imagine this was the same run down city that Derek Hatton led in the 1980s. Michael Hesseltine was given the freedom of Liverpool by the Labour Council because of his efforts in creating the transformation.

Last week the place was alive. During the day folks sat outside pubs and cafes all over the city. Liverpool 1 was buzzing. The docks area was filled with folks. In the evenings the city centre was packed. There are still scruffy bits but the opptimism of the locals is fantastic.

The transformation was incredible. Could the same be done in Sheffield?

and who's going to do that for us??

Julie Dore??

Don't make me laugh

Is Sheffield dead ?

Seven stones,two and a bit stones ,pebble - nothing.

and who's going to do that for us??

Julie Dore??

Don't make me laugh

And this sums up why it'll not happen. It's up to the people of Sheffield to do it, but they seem content to sit and complain and ask whose going to do it for them.

It can but it takes a much more forward thinking council, unfortunately.

This Labour-council is very risk averse, does not have the nous to exploit external money appropriately and is severely handicapped by eternally clinging on to the idea that "what was done to Sheffield" is not fair.

It can but it takes a much more forward thinking council, unfortunately.

This Labour-council is very risk averse, does not have the nous to exploit external money appropriately and is severely handicapped by eternally clinging on to the idea that "what was done to Sheffield" is not fair.

Well Liverpool under Hatton was down and out for the count. I think the city was up to its neck in debt and led by a donkey who thought the people were his private army rather than him being their servant.

http://www.stgeorgesquarter.org/freedom-liverpool-recipient-lord-heseltine-returns-liverpool-conversation-evening/

Hesseltine was indeed a very unlikely champion for Liverpool. Perhaps Sheffield is a job for William Hague to take on once he steps down from politics.

Well Liverpool under Hatton was down and out for the count. I think the city was up to its neck in debt and led by a donkey who thought the people were his private army rather than him being their servant.

http://www.stgeorgesquarter.org/freedom-liverpool-recipient-lord-heseltine-returns-liverpool-conversation-evening/

Hesseltine was indeed a very unlikely champion for Liverpool. Perhaps Sheffield is a job for William Hague to take on once he steps down from politics.

Isn't he just another career politician? Is that the right sort of person to do this?

And this sums up why it'll not happen. It's up to the people of Sheffield to do it, but they seem content to sit and complain and ask whose going to do it for them.

I'd be happy to 'do it' but I don't think anyone else in the city would :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Really there's little change going to happen in the council in the long run, there's not much drive to try and do something different and actually make a change in the city - so everyone just sits back and rides the gravy train.

I was in Liverpool this last week. It is difficult to imagine this was the same run down city that Derek Hatton led in the 1980s. Michael Hesseltine was given the freedom of Liverpool by the Labour Council because of his efforts in creating the transformation.

Last week the place was alive. During the day folks sat outside pubs and cafes all over the city. Liverpool 1 was buzzing. The docks area was filled with folks. In the evenings the city centre was packed. There are still scruffy bits but the opptimism of the locals is fantastic.

The transformation was incredible. Could the same be done in Sheffield?

Are you sure it was Michael Heseltine that did that, after all that was more than 30 years ago, in 1981 during the riots. I remember them complaining that the only thing he ever did at the time was to persuade the council to plant trees!

Successive governments and surely private business have co-operated to make it a completely different place now, which after 30 years, you'd expect.

The same thing has happened to Brixton in London were the riots took place.

The transformation of the East End of London, such as Canary Wharf and Stratford have proved that. These areas are slowly being gentrified.

So what you're saying is we need to have a massive riot and trash the place.

because 30 years hasn't really brought the prosperous vibrant city we want.

So what you're saying is we need to have a massive riot and trash the place.

Just where have I said we need to do that?!!!