Alternative to the Lake District - with boat hire?

I'm planning a weekend away, and am after suggestions of somewhere to go, based on these two criteria:

1) I love the Lake District, but in high season it's just *too* busy, and I'm after peace and quiet

2) I would really love to hire a boat for half a day, a little motor boat, to pootle around a lake or even the sea. One I drive myself, rather than a charter with a skipper sort of thing.

Any suggestions folks?

Lots of places on the Broads. We've done it at both Horning and near Burgh Castle. But there are lots of others.

The scenery's a bit different than the Lakes, though.

Never been to the Broads, and always fancied it, so will have a look into this, thanks!

Yeah the broads are expensive and crowded though. I believe you can hire boats around the Scunthorpe area

A canal barge holiday?

You can get more than barges on canals though

You can hire self drive motor boats on Windermere. About £120 a day iirc. You're right though, will be extremely busy this time of year, quiet on the boat though an you can take food and booze.

jb

Go to scotlands lochs,boat hire is available and the scenery is beautiful.The drive is long but it is well worth the extra miles.