The House By The Five Arches!

The house must be vunerable to flooding as you say its below ground level where the road is all I can say is I remeber walking through Parkwood from Pitsmoor through the woods which I now know as Scraith Woods and coming out at the point where the house stands.

Where Bramhalls is now and the lower section of Herries Rd wasn't there but where the bend is which is now known as Herries Rd South was.

Its such a long time ago probably late 60s

Did they name Oxpring bank after this fella?or just a coincidence you think?

I presume they must have!

Hi Paul, i think your memory is playing tricks on you,im 71 now ans have known this area all my life and both parts of Herries road have always existed,where Bramalls is now was Kitsons cafe and petrol station it was also a base for Regent petrol tankers and a sleeping house for lorry drivers as in those days it was a 20 mph speed limit so it took a long time to get anywhere,above here was a pond and we used to tie drums together and sail on it above that was a scrap yard with war junk in it opposite Kitsons was a forge if i remember right it was called Gillotts and at the side of there was a black ash path leading to Club Mill Rd,at the other side of the path were allotments then the little overflow stream from the tunnel known as the sh*tten entry. On the other side of Herries rd was nothing until i think Marsdens Fabricators and then where the bus garage was there was another scrap yard full of war junk,on the other side was Hiram Wild cutlers.

That's right, BullerboY - Herries Road and Herries Road South were both built in the 1920s - here is a 1955 map of the area.

Hi Paul, i think your memory is playing tricks on you,im 71 now ans have known this area all my life and both parts of Herries road have always existed,where Bramalls is now was Kitsons cafe and petrol station it was also a base for Regent petrol tankers and a sleeping house for lorry drivers as in those days it was a 20 mph speed limit so it took a long time to get anywhere,above here was a pond and we used to tie drums together and sail on it above that was a scrap yard with war junk in it opposite Kitsons was a forge if i remember right it was called Gillotts and at the side of there was a black ash path leading to Club Mill Rd,at the other side of the path were allotments then the little overflow stream from the tunnel known as the sh*tten entry. On the other side of Herries rd was nothing until i think Marsdens Fabricators and then where the bus garage was there was another scrap yard full of war junk,on the other side was Hiram Wild cutlers.

Thanks for that Bullerboy, maybe your right I can't argue with a man at 71 who has a longer memory than myself its just that I remember being in a wood at that point and walked through it to get to Hillsbrough football ground.

I didn't go back there for many years and it was only a one off but my memory see's a wood, no road at the bottom and the bend in the road toards the bus station, obviously i'm wrong, but i wonder if the road was nothing more than a slip road through the wood in those days but what sticks out about that day is the ground was covered in leaves newly fallen and may have covered the road....I stand corrected.

Hi paul,I think you may have been walking the path from opposite shirecliffe school down through Scraith woods which leads to Herries road and under the bridge,before the bridge is the fishing pond on the right,the entry is on the left under the bridge.

Hi I made an error in my posting about the airplane flying low over Wardsend House, the plane was a blue monoplane not a biplane as I posted.

Sorry for my ignorance but I was never a real pilot!!!!

Someone mentioned the cottages being damp, I know one time I visited, the Acasters were having problems and they were repairing a pump which was used to pump the water from the drain.

Happy Days! PopT

Edited by PopT

Ey up Bullerboy, we should know that route with our eyes closed after having to run it every week for sport, then running along the Don to the path to the White Bridge, and up the big grassy hill back to the school.

We used to go to Kitson's for a mug of tea some nights for something to do, great times and great memories.

eyup skippy,yes great times we knew every bird on the meadows and thats the ones without feathers,didnt you take the short cut? Kitsons was great i used to crawl all over the tankers and go in and listen to the drivers tales,big mugs of tea and modgey dinners and loads of smoke.Can you remember the chocolate machines on the wall no condom ones in those days.

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 10:35 ----------

a couple of years ago Brammalls were doing a revamp of the outside of the showroom and the old Kitsons signs are still there,I had a word with Mike brammall and he said they were staying,top man.they are covered up with the new signs.

Eeee, gooin' fer a run darn t'medders. Ah'd nearly fergot....:)

eyup skippy,didnt you take the short cut?

I loved running when I was a youngun, and I also used to run from Grimey to the Shirecliffe every night up to me getting married, suit and winkle pickers in them days, no joggers.

Those meadows were a haven for us kids, especially down at the pen knife tip, and we used to get old oil drums and lengths of wood from somewhere to make rafts to sail on the Don, train spotting was another hobby in those days too, kids don't know what there missing nowadays, sitting in front of computer screens playing games etc, and are always bored.