The House By The Five Arches!

Anyone who has read my early threads about our old mill cottage might know a little history about the old similar houses on the bottom side of the Five Arches.There used to be a watermill near as what is now the fishing pond was the water supply for it,I should imagine it would have been built around the late 1700s the same as our old place.Across Herries Road is the water run off going into a tunnel under where the scrapyard was coming out into the Don just below where the old stone bridge that washed away in the floods was situated.It must be dark inside as its in a dip higher than the roof overlooked by the arches,I can remember the dip going all the way on the same side until it was filled in to build the loading bays sometime in the early 60s,anyone got any info?.:huh:

Ah, my childhood remembered. The tunnel was known by the illustrious name of "**** 'n' entry." The ongoing dare was to walk through from one side of the road to the other. The initial bravery always wilted when it became clear rats had the first claim and retreat the only appropriate action.

Edited by Lastyz

I lived on the flats just behind the pond, thirty-odd years ago:- I remember rats the size of cats walking boldly across the road in front of us! Scary-biscuits!

I remember the Acaster children who lived in one of the houses (it was No 2 Wardsend Cottages) in the 1950s. They were related to our neighbours the Lindleys and we used to there in the school holidays (a great place to play, but I don't think any of us dared go into the s****'n entry)..:P. We used to watch the trains and wave to the passengers, and walk or cycle along the stream through Wardsend Cemetery to the "black bridge" and "white bridge".

Here are two early-1900s postcards showing the Five Arches and cottages, taken from opposite sides of the track that was there before Herries Road was built in the 1920s..:)

These cottages are not in there original place they were pulled down and moved when the five arches bridge was built.

These cottages are not in there original place they were pulled down and moved when the five arches bridge was built.

Hi bullerboy-are they the same cottages that are still there now?.If so the ground in front must have been filled in quite substantialy as its above roof height now!.Has anyone got a picture of the old water mill or a painting or sketch,I would love to see one if possible,I have always been interested in the old times in Sheffield!:help:

Hillsbro, where was Wardsend house? The photo unfortunately doesn't show the house in relation to the bridge.

I have tried to reference 1903 maps and the like, but the house isn't even shown :(.

yes tup,i think that you will see reference to it in Mary Waltons book on Sheffield.Apparrently they stood where one of the arch supports stands. im not sure but i think there was a painting in mappin art gallery but it was a long time ago.I have loads of books on old Sheffield so when i get chance ill have a look at the cottages for you,some of my books are over hundred years old.

Hi bullerboy-are they the same cottages that are still there now?.If so the ground in front must have been filled in quite substantialy...
The cottages shown in early 1900s photos are evidently the same as the ones there now, but the ground was indeed filled in to make the level of Herries Road higher than that of the original track. This recent Google Earth view shows the cottages and Five Arches. The difference in the height of the bridge above the track/road can be seen in this comparison of a 1906 postcard with a Google Earth view.

Hillsbro, where was Wardsend house? ...
It was very near to the cottages. I've marked Wardsend Cottages in blue and Wardsend House in red on this old map..:)