Rotherham - Any decent areas?

One of my friends wants to live in Rotherham, anybody know of decent areas there? Also what is in the surrounding areas e.g. shops, take aways etc......?

Rotherham is an alright place. Whiston, Wickersley and Bramley are quite nice areas.

Town Centre is small with only a few shops. But you don't expect much with MeadowHall not to far away. Plenty of Takeaways can be found.

Skatie

I live in Wickersley and thats one of the best areas around...agree with the other two places mentioned above! Dont notice any trouble round here, area's nice enough, schools are alright too!

The town centre's horrendous though, basically made up of charity shops, banks and pubs/bars! I aint shopped there for years (probably not helped the situation much eh hehe), i just find mhall and sheff centre much better!

I aint keen on the nightlife either, each to their own, but there's something about it i just dont like! Id choose Sheffield any night of the wk over town!

There's plenty of takeaways around aswell, some good, some bad, my fav is in Wickersley, Fairy Pizza!! :) mmm yum!

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Rotherham is an alright place. Whiston, Wickersley and Bramley are quite nice areas.

I made the mistake of going to have a look round a cottage in Whiston. All was fine until I got out of the car and was hit by a wall of noise. The village is bracketed by the M1, Rotherway and Bawtry Road and the traffic noise is deafening.

Wickersley and Bramley are OK as is Catcliffe (If you stay out of the river valley which flooded last year) and Brinsworth. The road up from Whiston traffic lights leading up to the hospital is OK but you can still hear the drone of the M1.

All area's mentioned are good, also look at Swinton. It has some good areas and has plenty of pubs!!

And there was me thinking that Rotherham was just the a**ehole of Sheffield LOL. Seriously though Rotherham must be a reasonable town to consider living in.Thats if you have just arrived in the area in a time machine from circa 1979 of course.

I work in Rotherham. Why would anyone ever want to live there? They still have Working Mens clubs with "turns" and archaic rules set by men with greased back grey hair and big Michael Parkinson style sideburns, who wear beige C&A trousers, bri nylon shirts and white Predator trainers. There is a big beer belly culture and recently the women folk were voted the ugliest in Britain, burger bellies, fags hanging out of the corner of their mouths etc. Oh, and its situated at the lower end of Sheffield's sewage outfall pipe. Apart from that, its fine. Morthern cum something is a nice village though.

I live in Kimberworth. Very nice it is too. Thing is, I dont think I have been into Rotherham town centre more than 10 times in the last 5 years. Just commute to Sheff for EVERYTHING! 20mins!

And my house cost a third of what a similar one would in Sheff.

recommended!

Treeton is a great village to live in, and is just in between Rotherham and Sheffield! Parkway on your doorstep but the village is quiet.

Brinsworth is nice too, but the town centre is a a dive - avoid!

Originally posted by max

Wickersley and Bramley are OK as is Catcliffe....

Catcliffe, OK, are you serious!!!!!!!!!!!

I lived there for about 8 years on and off, and the place is a complete dive. Why anyone wanted to build new house in that ****hole is beyond me. My worst nightmare would be to be forced to live there again, I'd rather do time in prison. I have never known so many people who want to make your business, their business.

Treeton is a little better but there are still a lot of people of the same mindset in the old pit houses, so stay away from them.

Originally posted by yorkiepudd

Catcliffe, OK, are you serious!!!!!!!!!!!

I lived there for about 8 years on and off, and the place is a complete dive. Why anyone wanted to build new house in that ****hole is beyond me. My worst nightmare would be to be forced to live there again, I'd rather do time in prison. I have never known so many people who want to make your business, their business.

Treeton is a little better but there are still a lot of people of the same mindset in the old pit houses, so stay away from them.

Never heard so much b**lox in my life.

Treeton is as lovely village, and yes it is very Village like so everyone knows everyone else. I suggest that next time you dont look into living in a village. Stick to big cities.

I've spent a lot of time in Treeton and would recommend the place to anyone wanting that village (outskirts) quiet lifestyle.

Catcliffe aint that great but it's a lot nicer than some of the areas you could live in Rotherham.... try Brinsworth.... you'll soon keep yer mouth shut there.

Seriously... talk about an uninformed opinion:loopy: