Should I allow extra time to airport over Easter?

Hi, have a trip to drop someone off at Doncaster airport on Saturday lunchtime. Having never travelled at Easter, I wondered if I should allow extra time, it being a bank holiday or if Saturday will be more or less normal? Does anyone do this run and know the travel time?

Cheers Duckegg

I work on the basis its better to arrive 30/40min earlier than 30/40mins late.

I work on the basis its better to arrive 30/40min earlier than 30/40mins late.

no its not a problem its only 30 mins run saturday traffic give over panacing :hihi:

Network Rail are doing maintenance work at Sheffield station over the Easter weekend this year, so that in turn will probably lead to more people travelling locally out of Sheffield by car than on the rails.

That being said, the media are reporting that 'the great easter getaway' will have it's busiest day on the roads today, so by Saturday then things may be quieter anyway.

Ultimately, is there any problem in you setting off earlier and them perhaps getting to the airport earlier? At least you know that they'd have made their flight either way - it's not your problem if they get bored at the airport, so long as they don't get drunk before their flight and it ends up that you need to take them back home again!

Well, no problem at all travelling earlier but the drinking thing is definitely not on as it's my young teenager - better not get drunk!

That's why I'm panicking, he's be on his tod and I don't want him sitting there for hours with all the usual airport weirdos. Just a bit over protective, that's all! :(

If you allow an hour to get there,that will give you plenty of time.[im presuming you live in sheffield]

Don't forget to allow the maximum time for check-in just to be on the safe side.

Some airlines have policies regarding young people travelling alone. Have you checked with the airline about this? If you're being protective, they may do things such as seat him nearer the galley to keep a closer eye on him for you, perhaps seat him next to someone else who's under 18 for the flight etc. They're more likely to assign someone to accompany him through to flight side and show him the gate to ensure that he's where he should be in time.

Ultimately, you're entrusting responsibility on your child so it's up to him to prove to you that he's worthy and capable of being allowed that responsibility. Reinforce this trust by getting there early and allowing him time to get through check-in and security. So okay he'll be on his own, but it's less stressful for him having time than the extra stress of potentially missing the flight if you keep him with you groundside longer. Does he have a tablet/laptop? If so, you're already tusting responsibility on him already - if he does, perhaps give him some Wifi access so as to pass some of the time. Kids these days have plenty to keep themselves occupied, especially at an airport. If he hasn't been through Manchester airport before then he'll probably wander around a bit to see what it's like, perhaps do some shopping then get on social media to their friends until flight time.

Airports are actually one of the safest places, even though they get very busy. You have more people carrying ID (Passports) so are less likely to be doing naughty things, unless it's smuggling. You've got more security in the form of CCTV and security/police. People usually seem to be 'weirdos' because they're stressed or jet-lagged, but you'd get a lot less scary people at an airport than you would at a coach station for instance.

no its not a problem its only 30 mins run saturday traffic give over panacing :hihi:

..............:huh:

Hi, thanks for the advice everyone. We're leaving a bit earlier and have already downloaded stuff to the ipad for the airport/journey. Hopefully he will connect with friends (and me!) and time will pass quickly. I am far more worried than he is! :)