Why do we need loads of Mps in government?

Not really my thing Politics But it does bug me why we seem to have Loads of Mps in government that seem to do little !

And they all seem to Overclaim on everything:mad: , another one caught out in news with overclaiming on things

UK Plc is very big..so yes.

UK Plc is very big..so yes.

India plc is bigger still and they have less mps. I'm not sure how many congressmen and senators the US have either.

India plc is bigger still and they have less mps. I'm not sure how many congressmen and senators the US have either.

Maybe they have less mp's because a large proportion of the country is unrepresented at grass roots level. Not sure also what the op means by "seems to do nothing" unless the op is in there on the ground and observing.

Not sure if this is a genuine "how many mp's" or "scumbag mp" thread tbh.

Not really my thing Politics But it does bug me why we seem to have Loads of Mps in government that seem to do little !

And they all seem to Overclaim on everything:mad: , another one caught out in news with overclaiming on things

Well as you have your own democratically elected MP in your relevant local constituancy who you have every right to write to, email, telephone or meet with - why do you do so and ask them what they do all day?

The reason there are 650 MPs is because there are 650 separate consituancies. A reorganisation of the division of consituancies would of course mean less MPs but would that necessarilly be a good thing....

Less MPs covering bigger areas means less time to focus on issues, longer turnround time dealing with correspondence and requests, longer wait to get to meet/see them and no doubt even more expense involved in travelling around and adminstrating the new larger constituancy areas and the masses of time and monies wasted having to reshuffle and reorganise the consituancy boundaries..... Everything has a reaction.

I agree that expenses are a complete mess and could be sorted out by either doing away with them completely and having in house funded travel booking/accommodation services/catering/administration suppliers (however, no doubt that would end up costing more in the long run and whatever contractor was picked for whichever role no doubt would be criticised by the mass media)

OR

Someone having the balls to bring in a totally unconnected external body who has the one and only final word on what is and what isnt allowed with the power to reject claims before any payment is made. (however, once again whichever Auditors or Lawyers were nominated for such a role, they would be no doubt criticised by the masses for some alleged political bias/discrimination/too soft/too harsh or simply a high cost to the taxpayer etc...etc...) Dammed if they do. Dammed if they dont.

Its a mess that just wont go away because the grey areas are just too large. However, I dont think reducing the number of MPs would be a solution.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Remember that both the US and India are federal - so each has an extra layer of representation at the state level for the people.

Its a mess that just wont go away because the grey areas are just too large. However, I dont think reducing the number of MPs would be a solution.

I don't think keeping the numbers as they are is a solution either. Can't see increasing numbers solving anything, so, I'd be inclined to try out reducing them- zero sounds good to me :)

If as UKIP claim, 75% of our legislation comes from Brussels, I don't see why we need so many MPs here. We're paying for two governments so our lot should either reduce their numbers by 75% or take a 75% wage cut as they seem to have very little influence over our country.

No- I reckon zero%: they're all crooks, lets just scrap the whole system.

No- I reckon zero%: they're all crooks, lets just scrap the whole system.

To be replaced with what? Genuine question...

Not all MP's are in government. You have Ministers and Parliamentary Private Secretaries but beyond that you have backbench MP's on both sides who are not in government office, and opposition MP's who are not in office either way.

If as UKIP claim, 75% of our legislation comes from Brussels, I don't see why we need so many MPs here. We're paying for two governments so our lot should either reduce their numbers by 75% or take a 75% wage cut as they seem to have very little influence over our country.

UKIP claim many things.