Gastroscopy anyone had one?

Has anyone had one i've got to have one on the 22nd of april so scared even though they have said they can sedate me but ill still be conscious slightly worried by it :( anyone had it was it that bad?

Really- don't fret about it. The sedation given is one of the ones where you won't remember anything :)

Nobody ever said that they were pleasant tests, but clearly it's a necessary test because the doctors don't perform the tests on a whim, so just go with 'and they'll make sure that I don't remember it being unpleasant'.

My opinion was 'not as bad as feared, but still quite unpleasant'.

Definitely go for the sedative.

Has anyone had one i've got to have one on the 22nd of april so scared even though they have said they can sedate me but ill still be conscious slightly worried by it :( anyone had it was it that bad?

You really won't have a problem if you are sedated but take an adult along with you to look after you afterwards - they wouldn't sedate me when I had one as I'd gone alone.

My mum will be going with me so that's okay. I've just heard people say they still had to be pinned down even when sedated and does the sedation make you feel sick at all?

My mum will be going with me so that's okay. I've just heard people say they still had to be pinned down even when sedated and does the sedation make you feel sick at all?

I've had it twice.

1st time without Sedation, not at all recommended was very uncomfortable

2nd time with Sedation, no problem at all

Go for sedation, it's worth it

I've had two, and I was extremely nervous and nearly sick just thinking about it. But with the sedation there was nothing to it, in fact i think I more or less slept through it...

Yes. I had it without sedative. It's not terribly unpleasant but next time I would have the sedative. Only reason I didn't have it was because I was on a tight schedule that day and needed to drive somewhere afterwards. They would have kept me there for a while and made me get driven home otherwise.

I go for without sedative.it is ever so slightly uncomfortable but you are able to leave straight after.

Having assisted with the administration of many gastroscopies and having had one myself, I would recommend sedation every time. It is not "ever so slightly uncomfortable" for most people. It is not pleasant for most, and although you can leave straight away if you don`t have any sedation, it`s worth the extra time spent in the unit recovering. The sedation gives you retrograde amnesia, so you don`t remember much about it. So I would wholeheartedly recommend sedation every time.

I've had six, Knocked out every time, You wont feel a thing or remember anything!

Nothing to fret over. :)

The bloke in the bed next to me had the "Other" Camera, And I joked with the nurse about sharing it, And next time could I go first ;)

Edited by Jace