Assaults in schools

Did you know that if your child gets beat up at school to the point they are covered in bruises you as a parent have no rights to get the thugs prosecuted unless the school say so. SYP wont pursue it unless the school wish for the thugs to be prosecuted.

Nice eh :rolleyes:

If the bruising was a result of a scrap then I'd put it down to school childhood. If it was persistent bullying I'd be a bit miffed to say the least.

Did you know that if your child gets beat up at school to the point they are covered in bruises you as a parent have no rights to get the thugs prosecuted unless the school say so. SYP wont pursue it unless the school wish for the thugs to be prosecuted.

I think the school is probably in a better position that SYP or parents to be able to decide whether or not prosecution is the appropriate response.

I think the school is probably in a better position that SYP or parents to be able to decide whether or not prosecution is the appropriate response.

So the school staff have had police training?

Ill help you out, no they haven't. As for the rest of your post, well clearly youd need to know the specifics before making the generalisation you just did.

So a few specifics. Prolong bullying + several assaults culminating in an assault by several people on one student leaving said student with cuts, bruises, concussion and a genuine fear for life and limb. Wont walk around his estate (school and estate are both in S2) and is now genuinely scared to go back after easter and police wont act as the school said they dont feel it should go further.

Fair?

I dont think it is.

Ill help you out, no they haven't. As for the rest of your post, well clearly youd need to know the specifics before making the generalisation you just did.

So a few specifics. Prolong bullying + several assaults culminating in an assault by several people on one student leaving said student with cuts, bruises, concussion and a genuine fear for life and limb. Wont walk around his estate (school and estate are both in S2) and is now genuinely scared to go back after easter and police wont act as the school said they dont feel it should go further.

Fair?

I dont think it is.

The victim's family need to request an audience with the governors of the school to put their case forward.

Definitely - and schools do press for prosecution where it can be proven that assault took place. They also tend to exclude the perpetrator, sometimes permanently, or not allow them back in school until their parents have had an interview with the Head and the consequences spelled out to both offender and parents.

However - if a child comes home alleging he has been set upon by a bully/bullies but that there were no witnesses, no CCTV and the accused denies/deny it, how useful is a prosecution going to be?

You still have the option of taking out a private prosecution, or suing the school.

Private Prosecutions

Fair?

I dont think it is.

Add to that teaching staff getting regular beatings and you get Parkwood High :thumbsup:

Definitely - and schools do press for prosecution where it can be proven that assault took place. They also tend to exclude the perpetrator, sometimes permanently, or not allow them back in school until their parents have had an interview with the Head and the consequences spelled out to both offender and parents.

However - if a child comes home alleging he has been set upon by a bully/bullies but that there were no witnesses, no CCTV and the accused denies/deny it, how useful is a prosecution going to be?

Bold. I forgot to mention cctv has been captured, ive had this confirmed there are also several independent witnesses including 2 teachers and 1 older kid who helped stop it. It seems to staff who were there want it pursuing but someone above their head (year head or school head i dont know who) has scuppered it.

Hes not denying there was an assault on the lad, just he wont get the police involved. Parents have tried but SYP wont entertain it unless the school make a formal complaint.

Theres no denying what happened, its been taken down in statements and ive seen them, its horrific but the school dont want the police involved.

Bold. I forgot to mention cctv has been captured, ive had this confirmed there are also several independent witnesses including 2 teachers and 1 older kid who helped stop it. It seems to staff who were there want it pursuing but someone above their head (year head or school head i dont know who) has scuppered it.

Hes not denying there was an assault on the lad, just he wont get the police involved. Parents have tried but SYP wont entertain it unless the school make a formal complaint.

Theres no denying what happened, its been taken down in statements and ive seen them, its horrific but the school dont want the police involved.

I'd suggest that in the first instance the parents of the child concerned meet with the head and ask for his account of the situation.

Sounds like the school I work at the head won't ever get the police involved. Kids with drugs, year 7 kid with knife threatening a teacher but still no police. The school is DHFS. The head is useless.

This is utter nonsense. If there is any remote chance that a child has been attacked anywhere, then the Police can be notified by ANYBODY, and they have a duty to investigate. To say that the Head is better placed than a parent to decide this, is just another one of Halibuts ill informed and stupid posts, and pretty serious if some were to believe him.

Its remarkable what you learn working for the NHS, and the abuse of a minor is top priority, always.