How cheap would buses need to be for you to use them?

The thread about London getting rid of cash payments on buses got me thinking. it is currently £1 cheaper to travel by bus using an Oyster Card instead of cash and other forms of public transport are also heavily discounted too. As a result (and no doubt helped by congestion in London and congestion charging) London has the highest rate of commuters travelling by public transport in the UK.

How cheap would bus fares need to be in Sheffield for you to give up commuting by car and get on a bus?

Some people have no intention of using buses. They probably consider themselves to be better than everyone else ... thank god people on buses don't have to put up with such people

Some people have no intention of using buses. They probably consider themselves to be better than everyone else ... thank god people on buses don't have to put up with such people

Many motorists are not fit enough to walk to a bus stop

I'd commute by bus if they gave me £50 a week.

Last time I caught a bus it was 2p

I'd commute by bus if they gave me £50 a week.

:hihi: Even if you would never you buses yourself, what would it be worth to you to get other people to use them more so you faced less congestion? Would it be worth enough for you to pay a bit extra on your council tax bill so the council could supplement discounted commuter bus travel?

Last time I caught a bus it was 2p

I can beat that, it was free when I was a child and that's the last time I used a bus. :)

Or there's no practical way of getting where people need to be without catching at least three buses and adding hours to the day.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 12-04-2014 at 08:45 ----------

The thread about London getting rid of cash payments on buses got me thinking. it is currently £1 cheaper to travel by bus using an Oyster Card instead of cash and other forms of public transport are also heavily discounted too. As a result (and no doubt helped by congestion in London and congestion charging) London has the highest rate of commuters travelling by public transport in the UK.

How cheap would bus fares need to be in Sheffield for you to give up commuting by car and get on a bus?

It's not about price for me. It's not having to wait 20 minutes in the cold with a toddler, freedom to go where I want and when, being able to make the trips I need without multiple buses, not having to subject a young child to the hideous language and behaviour of the school children round here, and not wasting at least an hour of my day when time is extremely precious to me.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I dont like sitting next to strangers who dont cover their mouth when they cough or stinks of that whole fag they tried to smoke in 3 seconds cause they saw the bus coming.

I dont like sitting next to strangers who dont cover their mouth when they cough or stinks of that whole fag they tried to smoke in 3 seconds cause they saw the bus coming.

Or people who are so fat they stink of sweat in winter and whos farts smell of mcdonalds

I don't think it's just about cost. In London the buses are frequent, reliable and all organised by TFL (although run by private companies under contract). They run from early in the morning til late at night and even in the suburbs tend to have at worse a 30 minute frequency. The buses are also modern and clean and TFL enforce things like the standard of driving, punctuality etc.

You can use your Oyster or Travelcard on any route in London and can get timetable information for any bus in London from one source. But the frequency means you often don't need to worry about the timetable anyway as you often won't be waiting for more than 10 minutes for a bus.

The Met Police have a special Safer Transport team (partially funded by TFL) who police the buses. Met officers also use the buses to travel around (they get free travel) which provides a sense of security.

I always try to use the bus rather than the tube in central London. It takes a few minutes longer but it's much more pleasant and you won't get a better view of London than from the top deck of a red double decker. I think the London buses would still be as busy if they doubled the fare (although that wouldn't go down well!).

:hihi: Even if you would never you buses yourself, what would it be worth to you to get other people to use them more so you faced less congestion? Would it be worth enough for you to pay a bit extra on your council tax bill so the council could supplement discounted commuter bus travel?

Yes I think it would be worth paying a little extra if free bus travel encourages people to leave their car at home, but parents dropping kids off at school are responsible for much of the early morning congestion, so anything to get kids walking to school would be more beneficial.