Groups for single dads.

Any support or activity groups in Sheffield?

Im recently single, got two kids who miss mum like mad so i want to keep them busy, take their minds off things.

It must be cheap or free though cos well, i need to watch the pennies.

Thanks.

It might be a start too approach an organisation such as Gingerbread or another one parent group, I guess that you will find that most are full of Women but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Maybe it would be good for the kids (and you) to find a more evenly mixed group though, good luck :)

It might be a start too approach an organisation such as Gingerbread or another one parent group, I guess that you will find that most are full of Women but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Maybe it would be good for the kids (and you) to find a more evenly mixed group though, good luck :)

Well said, that was more helpful. :thumbsup:

Any support or activity groups in Sheffield?

Im recently single, got two kids who miss mum like mad so i want to keep them busy, take their minds off things.

It must be cheap or free though cos well, i need to watch the pennies.

Thanks.

Hi.

I've had a look on a local database for a local 'dads and lads' type organisation but there isn't one close by.

What are your children's interests? Perhaps finding them a new activity or hobby and seeing if there is a local group where they can meet up with youngsters their own age would be an idea.

If you go to this website http://www.sheffieldhelpyourself.org.uk/keyword_search.asp?keyword=YOUTH+CLUBS

There is information on Youth clubs in Sheffield, you should be able to find one local to you. Also on that website there is information where you as the parent can access support - if you need it.

I'm guessing you know about the Zest Centre if you live round the Upperthorpe area?

Thanks for that :)

Ive joined their forum.its incredibly quiet, not like here, perhaps SF could fill the void and have its own sections?

Single mums

Single dads

Thats kind of thing. Anyhoo, ive found a contact who lives really close by so im going to email her in a bit.

Ill be honest, its a bit difficult to get my head around things at the moment. I seem to spend most of my time crying like a baby:hihi:

I soo stop when the kids enter the room though. Cant have that superdad image tarnished.

Thanks again :)

I know Sheffield has a Gingerbread support group for single parents.

Have you ever looked on the Sid directory,they also have an A toZ list of of so many activities in Sheffield.

http://www.asksid.net/kb5/sheffield/fsd/servicedetails.page?record=K2khHwtusvI

Ill give the4m a ring this week.

Ill give the4m a ring this week.

It'd be worth a try, they have a youth club there, not sure of the ages of your kids. But they would be able to signpost you to somewhere more suitable if they cam't help.

Come back to us if you need anything else

It'd be worth a try, they have a youth club there, not sure of the ages of your kids. But they would be able to signpost you to somewhere more suitable if they cam't help.

Come back to us if you need anything else

Councilling?

Now the kids are in bed, superdad seems to have gone off somewhere leaving a gibbering wreck in his place. :hihi:

Ah well, life a bitch as they say.

Thanks for the help.

Its greatley appreciated :)

Thanks for that :)

Ive joined their forum.its incredibly quiet, not like here, perhaps SF could fill the void and have its own sections?

Single mums

Single dads

Thats kind of thing. Anyhoo, ive found a contact who lives really close by so im going to email her in a bit.

Ill be honest, its a bit difficult to get my head around things at the moment. I seem to spend most of my time crying like a baby:hihi:

I soo stop when the kids enter the room though. Cant have that superdad image tarnished.

Thanks again :)

Its really hard at first and I should know I went through it myself, its good and healthy to cry and its natural, you have suffered a loss and been through an ordeal...one day you will wake up and suddenly realise that you don't feel sad, and that you really are super dad, and know just how lucky you are, but till that day just talk as much as you can, it really does help, isolation is one of the worst things of being a one parent family.

Time will heal for all of you I promise :)

Oh yes and there is the parenting group on here, I'm sure that lots of people that post there will also be single parents, who knows maybe you could start your own group? :)

Its really hard at first and I should know I went through it myself, its good and healthy to cry and its natural, you have suffered a loss and been through an ordeal...one day you will wake up and suddenly realise that you don't feel sad, and that you really are super dad, and know just how lucky you are, but till that day just talk as much as you can, it really does help, isolation is one of the worst things of being a one parent family.

Time will heal for all of you I promise :)

Thank you for that :)

I cant wait for that day, the one where i wake up and am not sad.

Supose i just have to be patient. The kids are a massive help though.

Even though they are clearly missing her themselves they are doing their best to put on a brave face.

Im not sure thats a good thing for them though. The problem is as soon as i try to talk to them about it i well up, walk away to hide the tears then compose myself.

Im currently sorting out all her clothes, bagging them up for when/if she returns for them.

Thats the hardest part, cos deep down i want her back and baggin up her clothes is like saying "she aint coming back"

Ever!