How cheap would buses need to be for you to use them?

It isn't about stalking. It's about village life. You nip in to the Scotsman's Pack a few times and you know everything about everyone in the village. But if you spend your life posting on Sheffield Forum all day you probably don't.

Funny thing about work is that I'm equally unlikely to be visiting any pubs.

I wouldn't bother with your report on traffic observations. You have already made it up without setting foot outside your office. That's the thing about people like you who can never be wrong. Their posts become oh so predictable.

There's no need to make it up, the AA measured the real numbers for you.

I'm sorry if they happened to prove you wrong.

I assume you don't see the irony in the bit I made bold, as you try to pretend that people are car sharing all over the place.

Wouldn't use them if they were free unless the car was in the garage. Takes me 30 mins to work in the car. When I had to use public transport, it took just over 1hour 45 mins altogether! Plus, what's with all the odd balls on buses? Scary stuff.

Funny thing about work is that I'm equally unlikely to be visiting any pubs.

There's no need to make it up, the AA measured the real numbers for you.

I'm sorry if they happened to prove you wrong.

I assume you don't see the irony in the bit I made bold, as you try to pretend that people are car sharing all over the place.

You didn't prove me wrong, you merely proved that you are unable to read.

Your link to the AA reports that 10% of the population say that they car share. Presumably the remaining 90% is built up of babes in arms, school children, motorists who don't car share, folk who travel by bus, retired folk and folks in their 80s who have given up motoring. 10% of the population amounts to around 7 million people. That's probably around 30% of the number who actually commute to work. It all makes your bold even more ironic.

Wouldn't use them if they were free unless the car was in the garage. Takes me 30 mins to work in the car. When I had to use public transport, it took just over 1hour 45 mins altogether! Plus, what's with all the odd balls on buses? Scary stuff.

This says it all.

The road to happiness? Don’t catch the bus to work

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-road-to-happiness-dont-catch-the-bus-to-work-9124322.html

And they found that walking and cycling, long regarded as desirable health-enhancing, stress-busting pursuits, may not be quite such a good way to get about after all. Biking and walking all scored less highly in some areas of wellbeing than travelling by car, van or minibus – with particularly high levels of anxiety reported among those required to travel for more than 30 minutes on foot each way to work. Train travel was also more likely to induce anxiety than going by car.

But it was poor old bus travel that fared worst. “Long bus or coach journeys to work lasting more than 30 minutes were associated with a loss of personal well-being across all four measures,” it found.

Edited by eckerslike

Your link to the AA reports that 10% of the population say that they car share. Presumably the remaining 90% is built up of babes in arms, school children, motorists who don't car share, folk who travel by bus, retired folk and folks in their 80s who have given up motoring. 10% of the population amounts to around 7 million people. That's probably around 30% of the number who actually commute to work. It all makes your bold even more ironic.

Nobody picked up on the huge error in this yet ? Clue is that it's in paragraph 3 of the AA report.

Yeah, I imagine that the AA got a lot of answers from babes and school children :roll:

despite only one in 10 (11%) people admitting to currently doing so more than once week.

Do you think they counted inability to talk for the babies as denial that they car share? Or do you think, being a motoring organisation, that they were surveying motorists... :huh:

---------- Post added 18-04-2014 at 10:37 ----------

But, you know, feel free to actually provide some evidence any time you like. Rather than your stories about what you heard in the pub.

---------- Post added 18-04-2014 at 10:42 ----------

This says it all.

The road to happiness? Don’t catch the bus to work

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-road-to-happiness-dont-catch-the-bus-to-work-9124322.html

And they found that walking and cycling, long regarded as desirable health-enhancing, stress-busting pursuits, may not be quite such a good way to get about after all. Biking and walking all scored less highly in some areas of wellbeing than travelling by car, van or minibus – with particularly high levels of anxiety reported among those required to travel for more than 30 minutes on foot each way to work. Train travel was also more likely to induce anxiety than going by car.

But it was poor old bus travel that fared worst. “Long bus or coach journeys to work lasting more than 30 minutes were associated with a loss of personal well-being across all four measures,” it found.

I'd love to actually see the underlying report

Biking and walking all scored less highly in some areas of wellbeing than travelling by car, van or minibus – with particularly high levels of anxiety reported among those required to travel for more than 30 minutes on foot each way to work.

Which areas?

Required? How about those who make a choice.

And <30 minutes, does that make you happier than a car commuter or not?

I find cycling for 15 minutes less stressful than driving for 20, which is the alternative at the moment for me.

Yeah, I imagine that the AA got a lot of answers from babes and school children :roll:

Do you think they counted inability to talk for the babies as denial that they car share? Or do you think, being a motoring organisation, that they were surveying motorists... :huh:

---------- Post added 18-04-2014 at 10:37 ----------

But, you know, feel free to actually provide some evidence any time you like. Rather than your stories about what you heard in the pub.

Perhaps if you weren't so selective in picking random statistics from the rubbish that you Google folks wouldn't think you were such a prat.

The bit you missed. What's more, 60% of the 5.5 million Brits who already do car share, say their primary reason is to save money on petrol costs.

But I suppose if you have no mates and don't go to the pub there's no reason for you to car share. I imagine anyone who has read your comments on riding bikes without brakes and swerving to avoid accidents isn't about to get into a car with you.

Incidentally I've just driven into Sheffield and I would think at least half the cars I saw had at least 2 people in them, some 3 and the odd one with 4. One also had a mass of furniture in it. Isn't that car sharing. 4 people in one car. They still expect all of those folk to pay bus fares if they leave the motor at home a risk the bus, and I'd love to see you trying to bring a wardrobe home on the number 46.

Edited by Uptowngirl

I'd disagree.

Car sharing doesn't have to mean randoms, don't forget.

For about four years, till they moved, we car shared with our neighbours. My wife and I worked in the town centre, as did our neighbours, all on office hours. We left around the same time every morning and came home at the same time too.

Most couples where both work will car share. Even now, my wife and I technically car share. If we had to get the bus, there's two lots of fares to take into account, as opposed to only one amount for the car, regardless of passengers. Actually, I assume my daughter would pay her fares too, so that's three lots of fares.

He's talking cobblers as usual. If as he claims 90% of folk never drive with more than one person in the car why do so many people buy 5 seaters?

He's talking cobblers as usual. If as he claims 90% of folk never drive with more than one person in the car why do so many people buy 5 seaters?

They might buy 5 seaters but if you look at a queue of traffic at rush hour or the motorway most weekdays I bet the number of cars with just the driver in it is closer to 90% than you think. Top gear did something about it years ago whilst reviewing a vectra if memory serves. Not the last bastion of accuracy I'll grant you but there's probably more than a grain of truth in it.

They might buy 5 seaters but if you look at a queue of traffic at rush hour or the motorway most weekdays I bet the number of cars with just the driver in it is closer to 90% than you think. Top gear did something about it years ago whilst reviewing a vectra if memory serves. Not the last bastion of accuracy I'll grant you but there's probably more than a grain of truth in it.

That's hardly relevant to a claim that only 10% of people ever share a car!!!!!!!!!! That is patently vache merde. I bet 90% of motorists travel with at least one other passenger at least once a week. I did this morning and will be doing again this evening when I go to the pub, tomorrow when I go out for lunch and again tomorrow evening when we dine with friends. In fact I would say that only about 20% of my car journeys are done alone.

Let's face it about 25% of spaces at supermarkets these days are reserved for multi occupant vehicles and about 30% of the other spaces are occupied by cars that arrived with a mod inside them.

Edited by shilling

They might buy 5 seaters but if you look at a queue of traffic at rush hour or the motorway most weekdays I bet the number of cars with just the driver in it is closer to 90% than you think.

Its true. The other day I was stood on Fulwood road during the rush hour and I would say 90% + of the cars were single occupancy.

That's hardly relevant to a claim that only 10% of people ever share a car!!!!!!!!!! That is patently vache merde. I bet 90% of motorists travel with at least one other passenger at least once a week. I did this morning and will be doing again this evening when I go to the pub, tomorrow when I go out for lunch and again tomorrow evening when we dine with friends. In fact I would say that only about 20% of my car journeys are done alone.

Let's face it about 25% of spaces at supermarkets these days are reserved for multi occupant vehicles and about 30% of the other spaces are occupied by cars that arrived with a mod inside them.

So what makes you mr average then? I haven't had a passenger in my car for over a month!