Rotherham - Any decent areas?

Originally posted by claycraft

Top area has gotta be Moorgate (Whiston crossroads and up towards the Hospital). Whirlowesque!

Retirement country for when to20 finally leaves his ivory tower:wink:

Moorgate is Rotherhams most affluent area, but I'd never live there. It's not a patch on Whirlow either, or many of Sheffields better areas. Also, Rotherham being a small town means that despite being in the relative affluence of Moorgate, the town centre and more deprived areas are only a stones throw away.

Originally posted by t020

.............the town centre and more deprived areas are only a stones throw away.

Classic t020, .......classic!

And I bet you didn't intend that:clap:

I think one problem with Rotherham is that, while the town is compact, the metropolitan authority is quite large.

Certainly Rotherham "proper" is basically a part of Sheffield, and isn't really very attractive. If you go further afield from the centre there is a two-way split. There are the old mining villages which have grit but little else (places like Maltby). Then there are really very nice and pretty villages. Not as wealthy as SW Sheffield, but not bad all the same and basically unfortunate to have to pay council tax to Rotherham Borough Council. Places like Ulley, Harthill and Wentworth.

Originally posted by t020

Moorgate is Rotherhams most affluent area, but I'd never live there. It's not a patch on Whirlow either, or many of Sheffields better areas. Also, Rotherham being a small town means that despite being in the relative affluence of Moorgate, the town centre and more deprived areas are only a stones throw away.

What's the view like from atop Ecclesall towers Squire?:wink:

Hope the stench from the "deprived areas" can't reach you:roll:

Hi,

have u thought of thorpe hesley, nice village, nice people and loads of pubs, 20 mins to sheff own centre and 10 mins to roth town centre

I am a Rotherham lad, and I despair of the descriptions most of you have uttered on this Forum.

The girls are beautiful, the blokes are fine upstanding characters full of wit, joie de vivre and truly caring of fellow inhabitants.

The Town is a thriving, busy, bustling example of "Get up and Go", with a true community spirit that exudes from every pore of it's being.

The shops cater for every taste, from haute couture to everyday fashions.

The Eateries satisfy everyone's taste from simple good, wholesome Pub Meal to Haute Cuisine.

The nightlife entertainment is truly spectacular..............

Mind you

I left when I got married in 1964, and have never been back since..:hihi:

I quite like Whiston.

Is there a Mosborough(?) there as a relative of mine was born in Wincobank (certainly within SCC's jusristiction), but brought up in Mosborough - and he branded that "pretty OK".

Seems this Mosborough is also within SCC

Mosborough is definitely in Sheffield (and was in Derbyshire in a former life). You might be confusing it with Masbrough.

Not being from South Yorkshire originally I can speak impartially and I quite like Rotherham. There are very pleasant residential districts such as Broom and Moorgate, and in the wider borough some nice countryside with pretty villages such as Wentworth, Thorpe Salvin and Ravenfield.

And some beautiful girls too, but not sure about the haute couture fashion shops, Shoeshine.

Mosborough is definitely in Sheffield (and was in Derbyshire in a former life). You might be confusing it with Masbrough.

Not being from South Yorkshire originally I can speak impartially and I quite like Rotherham. There are very pleasant residential districts such as Broom and Moorgate, and in the wider borough some nice countryside with pretty villages such as Wentworth, Thorpe Salvin and Ravenfield.

And some beautiful girls too, but not sure about the haute couture fashion shops, Shoeshine.

Only kidding...been to Rotherham a few times on short visits since I got married.......

It's a great place, the natives are still friendly. If you have pots of money Wentworth, Broom Road, Moorgate Road are probably great places to live. I have mixed views about Catcliffe, Treeton and Brinsworth. Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole personally. Rotherham Town Centre is but a shadow of its former self.

Still, nothing stays the same, does it?:)

Thorpe Hesley used to be a nice village convenient for, Rotherham, Sheffield and Barnsley. There are far to many gangs of kids hanging around now , shame really

biggest load of crap I've heard all week! how long you lived their mate? Kimberworth has been going downhill for quite a few years now... now its overrun with rebellius kids

my gran lives in Kimberworth and so does my aunt and I hate the place... I'm 20 year old and I still dont like walking around Kimberworth during the day, let alone at night... the kids are just as foul mouthed and abusive as some of the worst areas of Sheffield

it used to be a lovely area when I was younger, I used to live their till I was about 5... but I'd say the last 10 years its slowly got worse and worse

i think the clue is you havnt lived there since you was 5 says a lot. its a great place to live,kids are kids even in posh areas. i have lived there 56 yrs and not scared at all . time you grew up

i think the clue is you havnt lived there since you was 5 says a lot. its a great place to live,kids are kids even in posh areas. i have lived there 56 yrs and not scared at all . time you grew up

You've just replied to a post that is over 9 years old.