Treeton Dyke - Swimming

Ownership aside, I really wouldn't fancy swimming in Treeton Dyke now. I live in Treeton myself, have done all my life, and it seems the quality of the water has really gone downhill. It must be clean enough for skiers to swim in, but personally when I see the brown/yellow/orange tinted water it turns my stomach. The River Rother used to run through it until a few years ago, if memory serves, so with all the debris and pollution that would have brought, I personally wouldn't use it.

Dont know why everybody keeps on about R.B.C .The lake belongs to the sailing club and Treeton Dike A/C rents it off them :loopy::loopy:

Nobody "keeps on" or should that be "keeps going on"? about it, someone dragged up an old thread.

Quite good timing though as there's quite an explosive news story about to break. I'm not going to say too much, but if you're a dog walker I'd strongly suggest you keep your dogs on the path on a lead.

Nobody "keeps on" or should that be "keeps going on"? about it, someone dragged up an old thread.

Quite good timing though as there's quite an explosive news story about to break. I'm not going to say too much, but if you're a dog walker I'd strongly suggest you keep your dogs on the path on a lead.

Ooh, exciting. I'll lay a fiver on a dog versus pike incident...

Ownership aside, I really wouldn't fancy swimming in Treeton Dyke now. I live in Treeton myself, have done all my life, and it seems the quality of the water has really gone downhill. It must be clean enough for skiers to swim in, but personally when I see the brown/yellow/orange tinted water it turns my stomach. The River Rother used to run through it until a few years ago, if memory serves, so with all the debris and pollution that would have brought, I personally wouldn't use it.

The basin were the swimmers are used to be a sewrage works years ago. You can imagine what the lakes bottom is like there. The enviroment should put a notice up not fit for swimming . My grand daughter has just had a serious infection that my daughter thinks she got from swimming whilst holiday at at place near ollerton notts. So swimmers beware on the dike.:hihi::hihi:

Dont know why everybody keeps on about R.B.C .The lake belongs to the sailing club and Treeton Dike A/C rents it off them :loopy::loopy:
The dyke does belong to Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council, who lease it to the boating club, who then rent the fishing rights out to Treeton Dyke Angling Club.

The dyke do. es belong to Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council, who lease it to the boating club, who then rent the fishing rights out to Treeton Dyke Angling Club.

Not what i have been told and i have been a member of the fishing club for 10 years. The only thing R. B C. own is the wood at the other side. we rent the road at the other side near railway bridge from R.B.C . As the sailing club will not give us access on there land. The water NEVER comes up for tender as it would if owned by R. B. C. ./ indeed if it did i am sure the sailing club would be outbid and as there would be some very serious bidders out there. :love:

Not what i have been told and i have been a member of the fishing club for 10 years. The only thing R. B C. own is the wood at the other side. we rent the road at the other side near railway bridge from R.B.C . As the sailing club will not give us access on there land. The water NEVER comes up for tender as it would if owned by R. B. C. ./ indeed if it did i am sure the sailing club would be outbid and as there would be some very serious bidders out there. :love:
Seems we are both wrong! I've googled it and this is what I found:
Treeton Dyke is jointly owned by Rotherham Borough Council and the South Yorkshire Ski Boat Club.

I know that r.b.c. own the wood and path on that side of the lake but the other side were we fish we are going to put 3 disabled pegs in./ We had to get permision from the sailing club to do this not r.b.c. :confused::confused:

If you want anyone to give any credence to a simple quote, you need to provide a link to your source.

Just 'cos someone says it on the internet, doesn't make it true.

Sorry but you're wrong. The council has recently warned a group of wild swimmers that they're trespassing on council property and could be arrested under the "crime" of "theft of amenity" if they continue to swim in the dyke.

The ski club and angling club both pay Rotherham Council to use the dyke.

I know this because I've been helping said swimming group with their legal case.

The swimmers aren't even in the water at the routes the boats use.

I can't find any reference to such a crime in the UK, do you have a link to the statute?

---------- Post added 17-04-2014 at 13:04 ----------

The OH goes swimming there occasionally. There`s an Open Water swimming group that use it quite often and they usually incur the wrath of someone or other, either residents (about parking) or people ******* about with boats pretending they`re in the Florida Keys.

Hold on, people using boats are pretending they're in Florida, so are the swimmers pretending their on the Mediterranean?

I can't find any reference to such a crime in the UK, do you have a link to the statute?

---------- Post added 17-04-2014 at 13:04 ----------

Hold on, people using boats are pretending they're in Florida, so are the swimmers pretending their on the Mediterranean?

The ski club and angling club both pay Rotherham Council to use the dyke.

No the fishing club pays the ski club ./ fact:loopy:

Why did you quote me, I hadn't mentioned or commented on who pays who, fact.