Fitting Lino/Cushioned Flooring

Hi all,

Would anyone happen to know whether we'd be better off (money wise) getting some lino fitted via the Flooring Retailer it'll be bought from or via an independent carpet fitter?

It'll only be a role end piece you see for a bathroom, approx 8 x 5 foot, so not sure what the cheapest option would be???

Thanks in advance! :)

Spend a few hours getting a few quotes together from the retailers

Spend a few hours getting a few quotes together from the retailers

Was hoping that a quick question on here would save me a few hours!

can you not do it yourself? I did my bathroom the other day. I'm going to do the downstairs loo later this week

Fitting lino (properly) is a nightmare, one slip with the stanley knife and the whole job is ruined.

can you not do it yourself? I did my bathroom the other day. I'm going to do the downstairs loo later this week

I'm afraid i'm not that good at DIY, it'd look a right pig's ear! :hihi:

anyone wanting vynil laying just had a guy called andy fit my bathroom and i can thoroughly recommened him

Anyone can fit their own lino ... here's my tip ...

It can be difficult to cut lino accurately in confined spaces ... round sinks and toilet bowls, pipes etc (in an ideal world, it's best to put down the covering before fitting bathroom/toilet units, but not always worth the effort).

All I do is use lining paper to make a 'pattern' ... easy to draw on, cut and add bits if you make a mistake. Use Sellotape to stick it all together so that you have one pattern for the entire room ... put the lino on a bigger floor, put the paper pattern on top and draw round it (Biro's good).

Just cut the lino to shape with sharp decorators scissors/Stanley knife (protecting floor underneath!) and fit.

Use a good quality silicone to seal all the edges. Using masking tape on the lino gives very clean silicone edges ... peel it off as soon as the silicone's been smoothed (before it 'gels over' ... within a minute's best).

This method gives a better finish than that of 'professionals' that insist on cutting the lino to fit 'in situ'. I've just recently seen a very poorly fitted example of a bathroom floor in a friends house which cost them £100 to have done ... the siliconing was atrocious too!

Always nice to see a two and a half year old thread resurrected.

Andy the Lino fitter must be bloody good!!!!!!!!!!!