Paris gun attack, two dead

Nuclear bombs, aircraft carriers, and bombing raids on airfields will not stop this. No matter what Trump thinks.

Even total and utter surrender to them would not stop it.

It is insanity brought about by religious mania.

Le Pen & Frexit will stop it

Words fail me.

But.......explain how?

Of course she and it will. :rolleyes::roll::roll:

Words fail me.

But.......explain how?

It wont really. No amount of political discourse can alter the fact that humans are wired for conflict. It's part of our DNA.

LePen isn't getting into the Elysée, France isn't going to Frexit. Better get used to the idea.

RIP to the officer, and attaboy to survivors for ridding us of the terrorist terminally. Sooner next time, please, that's what the emergency state is all about and leaving the issue to just "listing" credibly high-risk jihadis on list S is clearly insufficient.

I don't know about stopping future attacks in France, but should Le Penn or who ever wins the election should try and persuade other EU nations to get rid of this Schengen Agreement, but I suppose the EU bureacrats will never agree to that. They will just say that is what the EU is all about, the free movement of people.

Sorry for the people who are once more victims to these terror attacks.

I don't know about stopping future attacks in France, but should Le Penn or who ever wins the election should try and persuade other EU nations to get rid of this Schengen Agreement, but I suppose the EU bureacrats will never agree to that. They will just say that is what the EU is all about, the free movement of people.

Schengen is not needed to implement or maintain free movement of people within the EU: the UK is not in Schengen, and you as an EU citizen (note the distinction) can go anywhere in the EU at the drop of a hat right now, likewise any EU citizen (note the distinction) can come to the UK at the drop of a hat.

Schengen is nothing more than a luxurious convenience built upon the principle of free movement.

FWIW that (distinction) above is also why I don't think that Schengen will survive the fight on terrorism.

EU bureaucrats would have nothing to say about a Schengen member rescinding its membership, but that's not required anyway: as part and parcel of its emergency state provisions (introduced November 2015, continuously maintained since), France pretty much terminated the effects of Schengen at its borders, likewise Belgium. The France/Luxembourg border (road and rail) has been permanently security-checked since (my brother commutes to work in Luxembourg, he crosses it twice daily).

Edited by L00b

Almost all of these 'terrorists' are home-grown. Nothing to do with Schengen or open borders or indeed free movement of people.

Schengen is not needed to implement or maintain free movement of people within the EU: the UK is not in Schengen, and you as an EU citizen (note the distinction) can go anywhere in the EU at the drop of a hat right now, likewise any EU citizen (note the distinction) can come to the UK at the drop of a hat.

Schengen is nothing more than a luxurious convenience built upon the principle of free movement.

FWIW that (distinction) above is also why I don't think that Schengen will survive the fight on terrorism.

EU bureaucrats would have nothing to say about a Schengen member rescinding its membership, but that's not required anyway: as part and parcel of its emergency state provisions (introduced November 2015, continuously maintained since), France pretty much terminated the effects of Schengen at its borders, likewise Belgium. The France/Luxembourg border (road and rail) has been permanently security-checked since (my brother commutes to work in Luxembourg, he crosses it twice daily).

There's not been much recently on the A16 though - admittedly its tricky to ask for papers on the border at 110kph.....:)

How serious are they at the Lux border then? Full stop all cars get out etc or just watching for dubious vehicles.... The Hungarians were playing "spot the Bulgarian" last time I was over that side, but weirdy RHD Landrovers got waved through without stopping :)

There's not been much recently on the A16 though - admittedly its tricky to ask for papers on the border at 110kph.....:)
Rest assured the douane volante ("flying customs squad") is never far, you might have spotted them spot-checking on rest areas either side of t'border.

White kangoos/scenics/meganes/307s (estates), tricolore & 'DOUANE' black lettering ;)

How serious are they at the Lux border then? Full stop all cars get out etc or just watching for dubious vehicles.... The Hungarians were playing "spot the Bulgarian" last time I was over that side, but weirdy RHD Landrovers got waved through without stopping :)
Ordinarily not, cursory eyeing up as you drive (slowly-ish) past, though you can immediately tell the difference (in miles of tailbacks) when they're intently looking (presumably based on intel). Edited by L00b