How many parliamentary seats will Labour hold on 9th June?

How many seats will Labour hold on 9th June?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How many seats will Labour hold on 9th June?

• About the same (220-240)
    • It will be terrible for Labour - Less than 100
    • It will be bad for Labour - 100-220
    • Labour will gain but not a majority - 240-324
    • Labour's wildest dreams a working majority - more than 325

All the talk seems to be that Labour will be wiped out in the general election. They currently hold 229 seats and a number of well known figures are standing down. The vast majority of Conservative target seats are held by Labour. So it seems this will be the main contest.

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative

But this is being billed as a Brexit election. The Lib Dems or Greens might gain from their anti-brexit position, (or not). But they only have 10 seats to lose so the liklihood is they won't make a material difference in terms of losing seats and the majority of Lib Dem target seats are Conservative.

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/liberal-democrat

Which leads me to the question, how many seats will Labour have?

Lib Dem's will gain at Labours expense, they might take a few Tory seats but I think Labour will loose a few seats to the Torys as well.

I doubt there will be a great landslide in favour of the Conservatives.

Lib Dem's will gain at Labours expense, they might take a few Tory seats but I think Labour will loose a few seats to the Torys as well.

I doubt there will be a great landslide in favour of the Conservatives.

I thought that too, but of the Lib Dem target list on that site, only 40 of the top 150 target seats were Labour seats*. So winning all of those would only see Labour on 189 seats.

*The basis of the target seat calculation may be flawed as it is purely on the smallest arythemtical swing needed from 2015 results. The Lib Dems actually have a target list of 80 odd seats more of which may be Labour seats.

Edited by biotechpete

Labour is not letting local constituencies select their candidates; existing MPs will stand by default and new ones will apply directly to and be selected by the NEC.

The left wing dream of 'eradicating the Blairites' sounds over.

Lib Dem's will gain at Labours expense, they might take a few Tory seats but I think Labour will loose a few seats to the Torys as well...

The Lib-Dems will have lost a lot of prospective votes today when Tim refused to rule out another Tory coalition.

The Lib-Dems will have lost a lot of prospective votes today when Tim refused to rule out another Tory coalition.

Perhaps, but the majority of their target seats are Conservative ones.

More chance of hell freezing over than it being a coalition government .

A coalition would allow Timid Farron to do the same as his predecessor and forget his manifesto promises for a chance of personal glory.

'Do you fancy being deputy PM Nick?'

'Sure, what do I have to do Dave.'

'Forget about getting rid of tuition fees.'

'No problem, in fact we'll put them up, when do I start?'

Edited by gomgeg

A coalition would allow Timid Farron to do the same as his predecessor and forget his manifesto promises for a chance of personal glory.

I think Tim Farron is hoping for the student vote,it all depends on wether they can be bothered to go and vote or get out of bed.

The Tories won't go into coalition with this time them because the condition would be no hard brexit.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 19:23 ----------

Oh look. Somebody who doesn't understand coalitions.

I think Tim Farron is hoping for the student vote,it all depends on wether they can be bothered to go and vote or get out of bed.

I shouldn't think there are that many students in Westmorland and Lonsdale for Tim to rely on. Corbyn seems to rely quite heavily on students though.

Do you think climate change does not affect the underworld?