Fence responsibilities

Hi I have 2 boundary fences at each side of my garden and livin in a mid terrace who is responsible for there upkeep as i stand on the roadside to the left is a fence and also to the right

You would need to look at the deeds for the property. Who owns the boundary fences should be indicated.

I was always told as you look at the front of your house, you are responsible for the left hand boundry.

On the title deeds there are T marks on the boundary designating who owns what. I successfully took a builder to Court who in essence pinched my boundary wall stone to use elsewhere on his building plot.

Angel1.

I was always told as you look at the front of your house, you are responsible for the left hand boundry.

Thats incorrect, you need to check your deeds.

Thats incorrect, you need to check your deeds.

I always thought that the best side of your fence faces your neighbour, and the back of their fence faces you . So if you stand in your garden and look at your fences, the one with its backside towards you is the one you are responsible for.

I always thought that the best side of your fence faces your neighbour, and the back of their fence faces you . So if you stand in your garden and look at your fences, the one with its backside towards you is the one you are responsible for.

No nothing of the sort.

It's either in your deeds, or it's not in your deeds (and it's therefore shared).

None of this stand in your garden and look at a fence nonsense.

T-marks define who owns/maintains boundary (but only if the Deed's wording explains their significance); or the wording might explicitly define ownerships.

Also: a higher-ground's property usually has to maintain any retaining wall that stops it sliding down the hill.

If you put up on fence on your property, then its yours. You need to look at the property that the fence sits on. Fences are not always in the middle.

If you put up on fence on your property, then its yours. You need to look at the property that the fence sits on.

True, but your post leaves unanswered the question of whether the fence that you put up is- or is not- on your own property.

And that rests on where the legal boundary line is.