Which building work needs landords permission

as a leasehold house which need consent of building work to landlord.. can anyone tell which kind of work does not need any permission like if i need re-render the house does this need permission as well.

As in you own the home but not the freehold? Or as in you rent the house?

In both cases it will vary by contract but the former the freeholder will almost certainly not care, and in the latter the landlord may be ok with you doing some work to the house if its an improvement but I think its unlikely and I think you must definitely ask, for any building works. Most rental contracts do not even let you put a nail in the wall to hang a picture or a mirror on.

as a leasehold house which need consent of building work to landlord.. can anyone tell which kind of work does not need any permission like if i need re-render the house does this need permission as well.

There's really only one main answer: read the lease (and obtain legal advice if you don't understand it).

Subject to that, a general rule is that consent:

a. is probably not needed for repairs and maintenance; but

b. is probably needed for improvements and some alterations.

thanks for reply, its leasehold house but its sometimes confusing what work is maintenance as if i refurbish the bathroom i need consent same to kitchen..but i know alteration definitely need consent..as the leases were made in olden times so very old language been written on it so google and understanding these words but i am keeping on eye of my 2 years time to get rid of this landlord stuff..hope law will come to abolish these leases very old time written ones which don't realistically adhere this time..honestly and these companies taking that advantage from years, hope people will wake up and try to talk about their freedom..as leaseholders pays hundred of thousands but still someone is still landlord.all these laws favour to elite, still thankful someone made amendments to 2 years time to get out this.. thanks all of for reply specially MR jefrey shaw you have given lot of awareness..so my case will be in your hands, definitely next year 16 feb i m up for 2 years.

thanks for reply, its leasehold house but its sometimes confusing what work is maintenance as if i refurbish the bathroom i need consent same to kitchen..but i know alteration definitely need consent..as the leases were made in olden times so very old language been written on it so google and understanding these words but i am keeping on eye of my 2 years time to get rid of this landlord stuff..hope law will come to abolish these leases very old time written ones which don't realistically adhere this time..honestly and these companies taking that advantage from years, hope people will wake up and try to talk about their freedom..as leaseholders pays hundred of thousands but still someone is still landlord.all these laws favour to elite, still thankful someone made amendments to 2 years time to get out this.. thanks all of for reply specially MR jefrey shaw you have given lot of awareness..so my case will be in your hands, definitely next year 16 feb i m up for 2 years.

What is so significant about your lease in two years time?

Will you be able to buy out the freehold revisioner and can any leaseholder force the freeholder to be bought out? Is there a time limit when this can apply?

---------- Post added 12-03-2017 at 21:51 ----------

As in you own the home but not the freehold? Or as in you rent the house?

In both cases it will vary by contract but the former the freeholder will almost certainly not care, and in the latter the landlord may be ok with you doing some work to the house if its an improvement but I think its unlikely and I think you must definitely ask, for any building works. Most rental contracts do not even let you put a nail in the wall to hang a picture or a mirror on.

I have come across two leaseholders who have build extensions onto their properties, without the freeholders permissions, and are now paying the price for this. Even though it has added value to the property, the freeholder is currently taking legal action against the leaseholders or requiring a hefty amount in compensation. All because they didn't read their lease. You would have thought the planning or building regs dept would require written proof from the leaseholder by way of a letter from the freeholder, as part of the requirement before signing this off for permission to go ahead with such work.

Also, won't the leaseholders come unstuck when they come to sell their property and the buyer's solicitor discovers there is no paperwork to show permission was given by the freeholder to approve such work?

Edited by poppet2

What is so significant about your lease in two years time?

Will you be able to buy out the freehold revisioner and can any leaseholder force the freeholder to be bought out? Is there a time limit when this can apply?

Yes, a house's leaseholder acquires statutory rights after two years' ownership.

No, there's no time limit; once rights are acquired, they're permanent.

I have come across two leaseholders who have build extensions onto their properties, without the freeholders permissions, and are now paying the price for this. Even though it has added value to the property, the freeholder is currently taking legal action against the leaseholders or requiring a hefty amount in compensation. All because they didn't read their lease. You would have thought the planning or building regs dept would require written proof from the leaseholder by way of a letter from the freeholder, as part of the requirement before signing this off for permission to go ahead with such work.

Also, won't the leaseholders come unstuck when they come to sell their property and the buyer's solicitor discovers there is no paperwork to show permission was given by the freeholder to approve such work?

No, not if- by the time of such sale- the property is freehold and free of 'consent' covenants.